simple projects - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-14-2012, 06:38 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
simple projects

hello folks, Im lookin to rework all my emblems on my 66 convertable. Anyone have suggestions so I do it rite the first time?
Also, have the 2 grill incerts (black/gray) to refinish and need some ideas on paint... hoping to find a quality paint in a raddle can.. Thanks Rowdy:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-14-2012, 09:42 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Hey Rowdy, i used a piece of closed sell packing foam to stick the emblems too while color filling as they are very fragile when off the car that way you wont snap the bridges. Also if they do break they can be saved with JB Weld ..... I then cleaned them up with 000 steel wool and a tooth brush. For the color any good enamel will do (rustoleum in the can thinned with a little mineral spirits). If you know any nurses have them get you a variety of syringes. set your foam block on a level surface load the syringe with thinned paint and fill the depressions to the level you want color (pool it). leave it over night to dry as the solvents dry out the enamel will lay down in the recess and you will not have to mask or spray anything. The process is actually called Cloisonne and its how they color fill pins and badges.
These are the original badges to my car after done this way. Grilles will be Argent Silver, and 40 degree gloss black (satin) and will require masking. spray silver first then mask to the edge of the grill and spray black.

black

Silver

Two color

Last edited by Instg8ter; 01-14-2012 at 10:02 PM.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-14-2012, 11:31 PM Thread Starter

Instg8ter, You rock... thanks for the insight, the syringe is an awesome idea. I was worried about breaking them, Im sure the foam will help.
Thanks again for the tips...
PS... nice Tempest. Rowdy

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-15-2012, 12:57 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Nice looking emblems!
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-15-2012, 01:24 AM

no problem Rowdy always happy to help....thanks guys, i am very proud to have done her all myself. I myself like seeing original restored (pot metal is very hard and expensive to chrome) trim on 45 year old car even if the chrome has a little pepper on it. I think its part of the patina of the antique (if you had an original Colt revolver do you know what plating it would do to the value...) once polished with a bit of 2000 rubbing compound the specks will not be seen until you are right up on it.

Last edited by Instg8ter; 01-15-2012 at 09:24 AM.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-15-2012, 05:23 PM
64-67 Expert

Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Another great idea from "The Instg8ter"! Thanks for the useful tip!
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-15-2012, 05:49 PM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Garage
When restoring my grille emblem I used testors paint. The color was an exact match I used a small model car paint brush and dabbed the paint into the emblem the paint flowed without brushing, it dried perfectly. #0000 steel wool on the chrome while using metal polish shined it up nicely. To save yourself some $$ go to a hobby shop and see if the color testors matches yours for 1.89 or so, it may work for you too.

President: GTO Association of America
www.gtoaa.org

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-15-2012, 06:32 PM

...Good idea Rook, beats buying a pint of rusto...enamel is enamel. the nice thing with the syringe is that as long as its level you wont have to worry if you have a shaky hand on the edges as your allowing the liquid paint to fill to level and give you a perfect line around the edges. The GTO badges are a bit bigger, but on my badges there was a whole lot of edges and curves in the "Tempest" and the "custom" was tiny. The ones on the car are actually a silver fill on chrome, thats how they were from the factory, got an extra set and thought the black would look good, but the silver popped better against the blue. and the "326" is the coolest motor badge they had with the checker flag.. been kicking around a pinstripe in silver or red....what do you guys think?

Last edited by Instg8ter; 01-15-2012 at 06:46 PM.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-15-2012, 10:32 PM Thread Starter

Thanks to all for the advice... I also plan on restoring the dash of my 66. Its not in bad shape. I bought the wood kit. but need some insight on how to re-do the chrome around the outside and gages. Is there a spray chrome? Also want to freshin up the gage face's and lens..
Thank you all on the GTO forum for keeping me moving on my project. Im blessed to be in such good company.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-16-2012, 09:16 AM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by geeteeohguy View Post
Another great idea from "The Instg8ter"! Thanks for the useful tip!
Wow, no kidding! I wish I'd known about this process before I put the Beast back together. The two GTO emblems on the front fenders are a "bear" to get on and off with the fenders hung, but I might have to do it anyway.

Bear

BearGFR
Springtown, TEXAS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, LeMans & GTO Projects, Barn Finds & Restoration Discussions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in