Some rebuild questions - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-30-2008, 11:45 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Some rebuild questions

Tore into my '65 today for the first time. Removed the front end in prep for removing the frame and getting ready for new motor/trans. Ran across and air conditioner and was wondering if this was a factory install. Also, I appear to be missing a key piece for the HVAC system, Can someone help identify the missing piece and possible the AC?

Picture of the AC unit on the firewall

Pic of the ident tag on the unit

Interior controls (what says "AC"?)
http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/n...0810300637.jpg

I also need help on identifying the wires on the wiring harness. I also read a post about new harnesses being available at YearOne. I saw a couple, but does anyone know if they have the complete wiring harness available?

Any finally, is there a place where I can buy just the lower rear portion of the front fenders? Mine are somewhat rusty with lots of bondo. But, generally the fender itself looks pretty good, just the lower rear portion is a mess.

Thanks for any help/pointers you can provide.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-03-2008, 07:29 PM

Can't help ya with the A/C stuff, but can definately say the harnesses are available. I replaced both my interior/fusebox harness and the motor harnes with wiring I got from M&H. Both were terrific matches to the original, plus the quality of the harnesses was surpassed only by the tech support I got during the installs. Highly recommend ya give them a call. I suspect Year One gets their harness from either M&H or Lectric anyhow, so you might as well cut out the middle man and put that extra money into others parts you'll need.
Good luck//Mike
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-05-2008, 07:39 PM
64-67 Expert

Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Your AC appears to be original. You can confirm it by looking insided the car: It'll have round vents in each corner of the dash. Non-AC cars do not have these vents. Also, the heater controls on the dash will have an extra area for the AC control. I recommend looking at another like car with aie or in the Factory or Restoration manuals to ID any and all missing parts. Good luck.
jeff

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-05-2008, 09:58 PM

not to hijack this thread but maybe an answer can be had onthis question i posted elsewhere
still waiting on the last part and of course its on backorder but i was looking at the water pump gaskets[2],,and i just dont see how both of them are used.
the divider plates sit inside the timing cover so a gasket cant go in between them,,so whats up?
this is the first 67 block ive done so im not totally dumb as ive done several newer ones.
can anyone tell me what im missing?
thx in advance
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-06-2008, 08:47 AM Thread Starter

FYI: I found the lower fender pieces at paddockparts.com and they seem fairly reasonable.

Here is the heater control, don't have any good pics of the vents and I am working on the car in a different place so can't easily check. I only saw the "Out" and "Inside" with nothing like "cool" that stood out.

Anyone out there have factory AC that could shoot me a pic of the AC stuff on the firewall? Was not thinking about air in the rebuild, but am now considering it.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-06-2008, 11:16 AM

heres 1
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0052.JPG
Views:	82
Size:	800.1 KB
ID:	3621  
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-06-2008, 11:57 AM
Former Super Moderator

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Phear the ole skool ribbed valve covers!
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-06-2008, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rukee View Post
Phear the ole skool ribbed valve covers!
there was a time when they looked good but 10 years of sitting shows,,,still hard to believe the motor still runs great...,,just need to get my new motor together
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-08-2008, 10:11 AM Thread Starter

Thanks a lot, that helps a bunch. I guess I would have figured out there was no blower motor at some point...
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-08-2008, 11:28 AM
64-67 Expert

Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Fred: after seeing your dash photos, I can verify what I suspected earlier: YOU HAVE A FACTORY A/C CAR!!! If it were me, I would DEFINATLY restore the ac system and get it working.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, LeMans & GTO Projects, Barn Finds & Restoration Discussions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in