Some resto Q's - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-26-2012, 03:33 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Some resto Q's

So today I decided to decode my car and try to unlock some factory details about it. Like the original colors, options and etc.

I tried to look up interior color and I got a 241. I looked it up on ultimategto.com and there is no 241 code listed for '70 but WAS listed for 72's and noted it was also a bench seat. This is confusing cause the codes indicate it IS indeed a '70 Lemans though. Maybe it wasnt listed on their site?

Cause I know my car was a blue interior car with a bench seat(supposedly cloth seat also) along with a column shift. Thoughts on that?

Car was atoll blue with blue interior and bench seat fyi. May be restoring it back to factory. My interior is black though as the guy I got it from had started a black interior swap. I love the atoll blue and blue look.

Ok my next question: Sadly I have no garage atm to keep my car in. When it rains or pours the floorboards get soaked in standing water. It leaks a lil by the weatherstripping on the a-post but I'm not sure it leaks that bad. It seems to me like it could be a leak under the dash area..What are the common places for water leaks in those areas? (i'm afraid it could be the r word) A friend who restores 442's told me these cars are bad about rust under the cowl/winshield area. (lord I hope not)

Thoughts?

Jarred "Hot Rod" |1970 Pontiac LeMans Sport | Just a 350...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-26-2012, 05:03 PM

Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
My book shows the code 241 as a medium blue morrokide bench seat in the Lemans coupe (code 3527) and hardtop coupe (code 3537) for the year 1970. No 241 code was listed in my book for the GTO.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-26-2012, 05:28 PM Thread Starter

Cool thanks.

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-26-2012, 05:36 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
You need to get out there while it is raining and trace that leak! Sooner than later, could be a number of areas.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-26-2012, 05:58 PM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Rod View Post
A friend who restores 442's told me these cars are bad about rust under the cowl/winshield area.
Yep, probably. There's sort of a shelf all along the bottom edge of the windshield that's shaped such that it's pretty bad about catching and retaining water. It's a common spot for rust. Have a buddy play the stream from a garden hose back and forth across the top of the windsheild while you look up from underneath the dash. You'll probably see it coming in.

Bear

BearGFR
Springtown, TEXAS
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-26-2012, 05:59 PM Thread Starter

I know it leaks some around the a posts by the winshield. But other than that I wasn't able to see where it leaked.

post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-26-2012, 06:02 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BearGFR View Post
Yep, probably. There's sort of a shelf all along the bottom edge of the windshield that's shaped such that it's pretty bad about catching and retaining water. It's a common spot for rust. Have a buddy play the stream from a garden hose back and forth across the top of the windsheild while you look up from underneath the dash. You'll probably see it coming in.

Bear
Yeah I'm afraid of that. Cause that would mean this thing will need serious attention as far as restoring it. If it is coming from there is it bad? What will I have to do to fix that?

post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-26-2012, 08:45 PM

Garage
My 70 leaked in through the kick panel vents for the heater/vent. The rockers were full of leaves and dirt. I took my cowl screens out and flooded the car with a hose and watched where the the water came in from.
I used my shop vac and ran it down into the lower fenders to vacuum out the leaves and crap, then flushed it out, but then the crap runs to the back of the rocker. There are holes in the rocker that you can fish crud out of in front of the wheels, make sure it's draining back there. You can remove the vent/return from under the kick panel to get access, but on AC cars this is the air return and is hard to hook the hose back up. For that, you can remove the blower motor through the passenger side wheel well, chiltons gives instructions on hacking a hole in the inner fender to get blower access. Remove the blower and clean out the rocker.
Good luck, my car didn't have any rust, but did leak into the car.

Burning rubber since 1982!!
My photobucket, lots of dif car pics.
http://s411.photobucket.com/home/jetstang
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-26-2012, 09:23 PM Thread Starter

Geez. Sounds like a pain, lol. Btw, not sure how much if any this may play a rol but none of my ac components are in the car. At least not the box for the vents that hooks into the firewall.

Other than that, idk what all is still in the car for the hvac.

post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-27-2012, 04:50 AM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Rod View Post
Yeah I'm afraid of that. Cause that would mean this thing will need serious attention as far as restoring it. If it is coming from there is it bad? What will I have to do to fix that?
I had that problem on the Beast and it actually wasn't all that bad to fix. The unpleasant part was getting it down to where I could. Everything along the base of the windshield area has to come out, and also the windshiield itself, to expose all the metal in the area so you can see it. It's not all that hard to make and weld patches in there, but of course you've got to make sure there's nothing close by that can catch fire when you do, including on the inside of the car under the dash.

Bear

BearGFR
Springtown, TEXAS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, LeMans & GTO Projects, Barn Finds & Restoration Discussions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in