Starting to obtain parts for the resto - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-31-2014, 04:03 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Starting to obtain parts for the resto

I am about to start the restoration this fall as the summer bull is about done. I have bought both fenders seeing my fenders are bad at the bottom heel, but the lips are perfect, my question is if the fender lip is the same as the quarter lip making it a good patch for the rear quarter? They seem the same but I am not sure, so if anyone knows if they are in fact the same can you please chime in, thanks. I will post pictures has I progress through the project, this will most likely be the first of many posts as I plan on doing as much as I can or feel comfortable doing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-03-2014, 11:42 AM

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Welcome to the fun 1969 gto (I too have a 69)... post pictures as you go... nothing like looking back after it's all done and remembering how much you've done to her. Especially before and after shots!!

I speak from experience here, make a list of all the things you need for what ever portion of the project you are working on at the time and order all the parts at one time. I've done a bit of the parts trickle thingy-ma-bob and it's a touch frustrating and time consuming while you want for staggered orders to arrive.

Good luck and keep us posted. Dan
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-03-2014, 05:52 PM Thread Starter

The fun will begin soon, I know it will get frustrating at times but I feel the end result will be reward enough. I'm guessing no one is sure if the back quarter lips are the same as the fender lips? Would like to know if I can graft them into the quarters. I will post pictures once I get a new computer, old one went dead two months ago, using wife's ipad and hate it. thanks.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-03-2014, 09:27 PM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Sorry, I can't help you with that but I'm sure someone here does.

Yes, it will be rewarding, very rewarding so I look forward to watching you rebuild her. Dan
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-04-2014, 08:59 AM
Former Moderator

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Garage
Are you asking if a section of the front fender can be used to repair the rear section of the rear quarter panel? I'm not sure if it will but I do know that on the front fenders that the front of one side will fit the rear of the other and vice versa. I had to do this myself to repair the front lip on one fender where it had been trimmed for tire clearance. I have sections of six front fenders to make the pair on my car.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-04-2014, 07:50 PM Thread Starter

ALKYGTO I believe what you did is basically what I want to do. I have fenders that the lips, where the chrome molding attaches to, are in near perfect shape. The quarter's lip are not so great, I was hoping that they were the same so I can use the fenders lips to repair the quarters. Are you saying that the left fender is same as right quarter and vice versa? Has anyone done it before in a 69 GTO? Thanks.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-11-2014, 08:15 AM
67 Basket Case Restorer

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1969 gto View Post
ALKYGTO I believe what you did is basically what I want to do. I have fenders that the lips, where the chrome molding attaches to, are in near perfect shape. The quarter's lip are not so great, I was hoping that they were the same so I can use the fenders lips to repair the quarters. Are you saying that the left fender is same as right quarter and vice versa ? Has anyone done it before in a 69 GTO? Thanks.
The lip on the front is much wider than the rear and you may be able it cut down to fit. I don't know if the shape is the same to match the rear. It may work with some modifications.

Mitch
1967 GTO; Gulf Turquoise on Black, 4 speed, buckets SOLD
1967 Camaro ss/rs 350
1966 Chevelle SS 396
1966 Chevelle Malibu
1970 Chevelle SS 396
1962 Impala SS
1952 Chev 2 ton flat bed
1938 Chev coupe
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-20-2014, 09:51 AM Thread Starter

Thanks, Too Many Projects, I was not sure but looking at it, it appeared to be the same. I will try to use the fenders has patches , see if it will work. Thanks again much appreciated.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-20-2014, 05:43 PM

I'm right there with ya. Just started the resto on my recently acquired 69 GTO. Just picked up new fenders and hood last week, so tomorrow, pulling the fenders and front end, and take it to the car wash and spend about $20 cleaning up the filthy 400. Post pics of your project when you get a chance, I'd love to keep up with it while I'm working on mine.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-29-2014, 08:32 PM Thread Starter

Sorry for the delay, got a new laptop and virus to go with it. I lost all my GTO pictures, will try to post later when I get a chance to take more pictures. Faeodan my GTO came with the front clip removed by previous owner, I'm hoping he kept all hardware to put it back together. I figure I will be working on the goat for about 4 years, looking forward to get started soon. Bought both fenders, old ones where pretty bad, and of course quarters need repairs, interior colour change and drivers seat. Keep us informed, has will I, on progress made. Take care and good luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, LeMans & GTO Projects, Barn Finds & Restoration Discussions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in