Tri Power Carbs restoration - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-15-2010, 06:29 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Tri Power Carbs restoration

There are no restoration places here in Tucson to rebuild my Tripower Rochester carbs, but I have found a mechanic that says he can but hasn't worked on a Tripower. Would it be ok for him to rebuild them or are they any different from any other rochester carb? I've seen a few online that want $500+ but then having to send them out and what not, I'd rather do them in town.

Also, anyone know where I can purchase the linkage?

X
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-15-2010, 09:28 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am not sure what your mechanical capabilities are and depending on what condition yours are in these carbs are not that difficult to restore/rebuild. You need a clean place to work, hand tools and compressed air. I have just completed my third set and so far so good all has turned out well. Not sure if you subscribe to High Performance Pontiac, but back in Jan - April 03 issues, Jim Taylor wrote a great how to series. Not sure if these still can be viewed on line. Be careful where you buy your rebuild parts, as the pump plungers in the cheaper sets do not tolerate the new fuels that we use today. Carb rebuild parts are available from John at the Carburetor Shop in Eldon MO, great to deal with and very knowledgeable. You can check but I believe that he also rebuilds. Linkage etc is available from Ames. I see you are in Tucson, normally I spend part of the winter in Tucson. Good Luck
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-16-2010, 02:45 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Mike Wasson has a great reputation for rebuilding tripowers....some say he is the best. I"ve talked with him and he is a very helpful guy.

Welcome - Pontiac Tripower.com - Your One Stop Tripower Shop

Rick

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-16-2010, 07:53 AM

Garage
If there not damaged, rebuilding should be nothing more than cleaning, new gaskets, needle/seats and check the float level.. As long as you can get the correct gaskets for the outer carbs it should be no big deal to rebuild them.

Burning rubber since 1982!!
My photobucket, lots of dif car pics.
http://s411.photobucket.com/home/jetstang
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-16-2010, 08:01 AM
Former Super Moderator

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetstang View Post
If there not damaged, rebuilding should be nothing more than cleaning, new gaskets, needle/seats and check the float level.. As long as you can get the correct gaskets for the outer carbs it should be no big deal to rebuild them.
I have the part #s for the rebuild kits if you need them, but spot on about the correct gaskets. The kit includes about 6 different gaskets, but only one is correct. Using any of the other ones will cause gas leaks. When I first got my car they had used the wrong gaskets and it caused the car to start on fire!! They gave up on the tri-power and installed an edelbrock intake and carb. Once I figured out what the problem was it didn't take long to repair.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-16-2010, 09:06 AM Thread Starter

I was just going to pickup the kits from yearone since they have the exact ones for the center carb and the outside carbs.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-16-2010, 10:38 AM
Former Super Moderator

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
NAPA Echlin part #s
Center = 2-5146C
Outboard = 2-5419
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-16-2010, 12:08 PM

year one will cost double napa's price, plus shipping.

Shane Doss

66 tempest
64 el camino
02 mullis dragster
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-16-2010, 12:14 PM Thread Starter

So I will only need these NAPA kits for the rebuild? Never rebuilt one, but if I can get the parts at a lower price I will take them to my mechanic.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-18-2010, 12:29 AM
MaL

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to MaL
I 2nd Mike Wasson. He has a great reputation and was extremely helpful on my rebuild. He found enough wrong with my already rebuilt carbs and set it all square.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, LeMans & GTO Projects, Barn Finds & Restoration Discussions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in