Upgrade with respect to the Purist
Hi, from Sanibel Florida. My name is mike and I bought my first gto, 1966. Bought from a mecum auction and couldn't be happier. I am a newbie and I am sure I will say and ask some stupid things ... I welcome and ask for your opinions and comments.
I have a documented frame off resto, convertible ... Nice. I have a triage appointment set for next week with a guy in Ft myers who comes highly recommended.
Meanwhile, I am 44 years old and my goal is for this not to be my grandpas gto, but I want to have fun with it, I have a 6 and 11 y ear boys, memories and fun. My thoughts are to do some "bolt on changes" while retaining all original parts and not to do any cutting.
1. Tighten up steering and suspension
2. Modest upgrades for engine performance ... Distributor, etc.
3. Disk brakes, wheels and tires
4. Dash rehab
Some of this I can do on my own and others ... Hand to the pros.
Here's my questions:
1. What first?
2. What engine enhancements would be cool
3. Wheel sizes? Bigger than 14 but how big, off set? This has some influence on brakes.
I am on a budget and I won't spend super top dollar as I am not running qtr miles ... Look cool, add some umpffff, have fun ...