Valve Covers - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-18-2012, 04:25 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Valve Covers

Finally was able to get her into a shop, with the issues that I can't fix. Apparently my valve covers are warped, not sure how old they are. Was recommended I go with cast aluminum covers instead of the stock chrome ones. I wanted to stay as stock as possible, but don't want to have the same oil leaking issue and have to replace them again later on. OK with just going with the cast aluminum with the pontiac brand on them?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-18-2012, 05:02 PM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Garage
Do whatever you like, it's your car

If you like the stock covers, you can probably straighten them yourself with patience, a body hammer, and a block of wood to work on. Lots of times the stamped steel covers will leak because they've been over-tightened enough to 'dimple' the metal around the bolt holes. That creates a path right around the edges of the dimples that's easy for oil to get through. Work the bolt holes with a hammer and block of wood to make sure they're flat, use good quality thick cork or rubberized gaskets and don't over tighten them. I only use sealer on one of the gasket surfaces, and that just to stick the gasket to the valve cover so that it stays on the valve cover when I remove it. The gasket to head surface I leave dry. I don't have any leaks with my factory covers and they're the ones that came on the car when it was new.

If in doubt, install one (after you've straightened it) then take it right back off and look at the bolt holes --- if you dimpled it, you tightened it too much.

Bear

BearGFR
Springtown, TEXAS
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-19-2012, 07:54 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
New chrome stamped steel covers are not that expensive, I think mine were just over 100.00 for my 65. Not sure if still available but I bought chrome spreader bars that went under the valve cover bolts that spread the clamping pressure. Never had any leaks.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-22-2012, 08:32 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Have you looked closely at the screw holes in the covers? Also they each have a lip on one edge only, not that that would cause a leak but it does reference postioning on the motor. Over tightening can cause a reverse like dimple which would prevent proper tightening and gasket contact. There's no shortage of stock replacements if you do some searching. Tom L
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-22-2012, 11:20 AM
64-67 Expert

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
What these gents said.....Valve covers never really wear out, they just get deformed by abusive tightening. 10 minutes with a ball peen hammer will have them in good order. That said, I've run both aluminum and stock sheet metal valve covers, and the aluminum ones are less leakage prone due to their rigid construction. I am running stock, original covers on both of my old GTO's with no issues. They have been straightened several times over the past several decades!
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-30-2012, 10:06 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Although not stock for the GTO, the "bar spreader" used stock on the Corvair, is probably the best one to use, if you can find them. I think you would have to drill the hole bigger, as the Corvair uses 1/4-20 bolts and the Pontiac used 5/16-18

When the only tool in your toolbox is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-30-2012, 12:44 PM
64-67 Expert

Chuck, that is an excellent suggestion. I used to use aftermarket bar spreaders on Olds V8's with the 5 bolt covers. I think Lisle made them? They would also fit a Poncho. The small block Chevy ones are only about an inch long, but they will work as well. I'd forgotten all about those.....been awhile!
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-30-2012, 01:54 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Yeah... for all kinds of reason, I'm still a Corvair guy at heart... Ive used those spreaders numerous times with real good success. I might even still be able to dig up a few of those if I can get to my dad's old stash...

When the only tool in your toolbox is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-01-2012, 04:11 AM Thread Starter

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I just went with the cast iron ones, I do like the look better and if I even decide to go as stock as I can get it they are reletively cheap.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-01-2012, 11:29 AM
64-67 Expert

Cast Iron valve covers??? Man, those puppies must be HEAVY!!! Chuck, back in the '60's, my next door neighbor bought a brand new '65 Monza ragtop: red with a black interior and a four speed. It was the hot one, and I remember that white shift knob and new car smell like yesterday. He had a '62 XKE as well, and that car was also a treat. I was 4 years old, but he used to take me for rides to the store all the time, etc. I remember how disappointing it was to look at our own Galaxie, which had a plane jane automatic on the column. For some reason, cool cars HAD to have a 4 speed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, LeMans & GTO Projects, Barn Finds & Restoration Discussions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in