What A Find! - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-17-2008, 01:49 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What A Find!

New here guys and i wasn't a GTO fan until now,here's why...the other day im walkin down a timber company rd about 3 miles from the nearest named rd when i come up on a uninhabited house that,by the looks of it,has.. been that way for quite some time. Well, i look behind the house and notice what looks to be a tin shed through some trees n bushes and my curiosity gets me, I walk over to it and work my way through the briers to get it and finally do after getting torn up.Once inside, i saw the rear of an old, dirty car that said pontiac in the middle and GTO off to the right...to be honest i didn't really know what i was lookin at as far as collectability or year.So i took some pics with my phone so i could look it up when i got home and found out it was a '66. But more about the car...i took some water i had and rubbed a spot on the hood to see if it had any paint on it. Well, after rubbing through the thick layer of crud i found not only did it HAVE paint it had a beautiful burgundy-looking paint!(was this a factory color?)I walked around the entire car and found no rust that i could see, it has no dents, no busted lights, no cracked lenses,and the chrome was still shiny(after i removed the layers of dirt). Next i opened the door which made like a suction sound when i did, guess it hasnt been opened in a while. Inside was dirty but nothing was really messed up...the seats had no wear to them, the carpet was nice and in good condition with (the original?), pontiac floor mats, the dash was perfect,the windows have no cracks or rock dings, and i noticed it had power windows and a/c too. I also noticed it's an automatic but it only has low and drive(powerglide is what someone said it might be?)Oh,and when i opened the hood it has the motor(389)and looks to be a 4brl carb under the air cleaner.All of the belts and hoses are missing, but everything else seems to be in place.The license plate was still on the car with an expiration of 1977 so im assuming it's been sitting up for 30 years.Anyway, can someone tell me about this car...is it rare,collectible,valuable? Are the options it has in it common for its time?Should i try to find the owner and buy it and for how much? What is it worth fully restored?

Last edited by warden717; 03-17-2008 at 01:59 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-17-2008, 01:56 PM
Former Super Moderator

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Welcome to the forums.
You need to find out who owns the property, and then figure out how to ask them about buying the GTO without getting prosecuted for trespassing.
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-17-2008, 02:01 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rukee View Post
Welcome to the forums.
You need to find out who owns the property, and then figure out how to ask them about buying the GTO without getting prosecuted for trespassing.
At the time i wasnt trespassing because my job allows me to be on private property so they would know i wasnt trespassing at the time i found the car

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-17-2008, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by warden717 View Post
New here guys and i wasn't a GTO fan until now,here's why...the other day im walkin down a timber company rd about 3 miles from the nearest named rd when i come up on a uninhabited house that,by the looks of it,has.. been that way for quite some time. Well, i look behind the house and notice what looks to be a tin shed through some trees n bushes and my curiosity gets me, I walk over to it and work my way through the briers to get it and finally do after getting torn up.Once inside, i saw the rear of an old, dirty car that said pontiac in the middle and GTO off to the right...to be honest i didn't really know what i was lookin at as far as collectability or year.So i took some pics with my phone so i could look it up when i got home and found out it was a '66. But more about the car...i took some water i had and rubbed a spot on the hood to see if it had any paint on it. Well, after rubbing through the thick layer of crud i found not only did it HAVE paint it had a beautiful burgundy-looking paint!(was this a factory color?)I walked around the entire car and found no rust that i could see, it has no dents, no busted lights, no cracked lenses,and the chrome was still shiny(after i removed the layers of dirt). Next i opened the door which made like a suction sound when i did, guess it hasnt been opened in a while. Inside was dirty but nothing was really messed up...the seats had no wear to them, the carpet was nice and in good condition with (the original?), pontiac floor mats, the dash was perfect,the windows have no cracks or rock dings, and i noticed it had power windows and a/c too. I also noticed it's an automatic but it only has low and drive(powerglide is what someone said it might be?)Oh,and when i opened the hood it has the motor(389)and looks to be a 4brl carb under the air cleaner.All of the belts and hoses are missing, but everything else seems to be in place.The license plate was still on the car with an expiration of 1977 so im assuming it's been sitting up for 30 years.Anyway, can someone tell me about this car...is it rare,collectible,valuable? Are the options it has in it common for its time?Should i try to find the owner and buy it and for how much? What is it worth fully restored?

If I were you I would find out who owns the property, as Rukee suggested. Many counties and other municipalities have property tax and ownership records on line. You should obtain the address or other identifying information about the property and try to find the owner on-line. Sounds like you may have quite a find there. However, you need some background (i.e., the car's "story") to have a better idea of what it's worth. Good luck.

Last edited by ppurfield001; 03-17-2008 at 02:10 PM.
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-17-2008, 03:08 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppurfield001 View Post
If I were you I would find out who owns the property, as Rukee suggested. Many counties and other municipalities have property tax and ownership records on line. You should obtain the address or other identifying information about the property and try to find the owner on-line. Sounds like you may have quite a find there. However, you need some background (i.e., the car's "story") to have a better idea of what it's worth. Good luck.
What do you mean by the car's story ?
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-17-2008, 03:53 PM
Former Super Moderator

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Quote:
At the time i wasnt trespassing because my job allows me to be on private property so they would know i wasnt trespassing at the time i found the car
Does that job allow you to enter buildings?

Quote:
What do you mean by the car's story ?
Where it was bought, who owned it and for how long, any changes or mods done and how long has it been stored in that shed.
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-17-2008, 05:04 PM

Sounds pretty amazing. Write down the VIN number, and run it through PHS and see what you come up with.
Definately find out as much as you can about who owns the property. Document it all, cause this is the sort of **** that makes for a good magazine story.
Keep us posted on what's happening. You already have us all drooling!
Oh, and welcome to the forum!
It's amazing, one look at a GTO, and this guy is hooked!
No wonder they call it "The Legend!"

Russ

21st Century Muscle, The Soul of a Legend!

70 Palladium Silver HT 400/AT *SOLD* Elvis has left the building.
2004 YJ M6
2008 IOM G8 GT
Secretary, Newsletter Editor, Webmaster, Susquehanna Valley GTO Tigers
http://svgto.com
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-17-2008, 08:58 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rukee View Post
Does that job allow you to enter buildings?

actually my job DOES allow me to enter buildings! But a tin shed with a missing wall and no door BARELY qualifies as a building...lol

Where it was bought, who owned it and for how long, any changes or mods done and how long has it been stored in that shed.
IF it's a one owner with low miles, no mods and been sitting for 30+years how much is it worth if the owner wants to sell it?
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-17-2008, 09:07 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by macgto7004 View Post
Sounds pretty amazing. Write down the VIN number, and run it through PHS and see what you come up with.
Definately find out as much as you can about who owns the property. Document it all, cause this is the sort of **** that makes for a good magazine story.
Keep us posted on what's happening. You already have us all drooling!
Oh, and welcome to the forum!
It's amazing, one look at a GTO, and this guy is hooked!
No wonder they call it "The Legend!"

Russ
I'll find out wednesday who owns the property...goin to the tax office and yes, i am hooked! In '81 i had a '64 impala, all original and it was immaculate...but i was 15years old and hated it and my dad for buying it for me(what a dumb-ass i was!)My dad got it from my uncle for 2,600.00 and i sold it a year later for the same price...worst decision of my life!Maybe the car gods are finally forgiving me and going to let this deal happen...I'll know soon
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-17-2008, 09:35 PM Thread Starter

Does anyone have an idea on what this car is worth now and it's potential value when restored? I need to have a figure of it's current value by the time i locate the owner so if he throws out a number i'll know what to do
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, LeMans & GTO Projects, Barn Finds & Restoration Discussions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in