What screws for the center console? - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 10-21-2011, 08:56 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
What screws for the center console?

I finally got the linkage right and put in the center console. However, I've broken 2 drill bits trying to get the rear part of the console screwed down and its kinda just sitting there right now. So whats the easiest way to drill a hole for the rear part since its angled and I don't want to break another bit and does it matter what screw go in it?

X
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 10-22-2011, 11:47 AM
64-67 Expert

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
This is never fun. Never. Especially if you try to do it with the carpet in place, and that's the only real way to do it. I use an awl to locate the original holes. Then line it up that way. You can even crawl under the car and stick a needle thru throm the under side to help you locate the position. If you are installing a console in a non-console car, you will need to center punch the hole area for the drill to bite in properly. The correct screws are like the chrome headlamp bezel screws on your car...the upper screws that are about 1"--1 1/4"" long. They are chrome, phillips head, and have a bevel and no washer. BE SURE TO CHECK THE SHIFTER MOVEMENT FOR CLEARANCE, ESPECIALLY IN REVERSE, BEFORE YOU BOLT IT DOWN. You don't want a neat console install that looks great but now you can't shift it into reverse. BTDT!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, LeMans & GTO Projects, Barn Finds & Restoration Discussions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in