Whats your opinion on this 1968 GTO Project? - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-04-2013, 02:03 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Whats your opinion on this 1968 GTO Project?

Here is the link to the auction:
1968 Pontiac GTO Project

Overpriced? Underpriced? Just right? Been watching it the last couple days and have been curious to see if it goes.

-Adam
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-04-2013, 02:23 PM

It needs alot of work. The ad says it has minimal rust which is a positive but the car will need pretty much everything. But if you have the skills, time and money to do the work yourself and love 68 GTO's then go for it
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-04-2013, 05:30 PM
64-67 Expert

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
It's one of those deals where even if the car were free, it would cost far more than it would ever be worth to restore it. Doing most of the work yourself, you're looking at 30k minimum. More likely, it'll cost about twice that to do, because everything on the car is in need of repair or replacement. I cringed when I saw how weathered the dash was. $$$$$ to fix. If you love a challenge, and a project, and need something to do in your spare time, go for it. If not, you can pick up a clean 4 speed driver quality '68 GTO for under 25k all day long.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-04-2013, 05:42 PM
Former Moderator

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Garage
That car is quite the project and the money and effort expended on it would exceed its value when completed. If it were a Ram Air or a convertible it might be worth it but they made quite a few thousand garden variety GTO's like this.

And if you can't afford the $25-30K find a solid driver for 10K and fix it up as you enjoy it. Think about what skills you have and look for a car that you can work on without farming out much work. Part of the fun of these cars (to me at least) is working on them and the pride you get driving something you made roadworthy or restored or saved from the crusher.

All in all I would find the most complete, solid GTO you can afford.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-05-2013, 08:01 AM

It's currently at $3900. If you can get it for less than $10K, then why not? Nobody says you have to restore it to showroom condition. It's already not a matching numbers car, so you can have your way with it. If you want to play with a GTO, then I say go for it. If you want a serious car that will be a investment instead of just a weekend toy, then look around more.

post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-05-2013, 08:20 AM

Garage
Adam, it is over priced for sure. That said, I think you should take it on. No clue what you have for space, equipment, tools and support from your spousal unit (or if you even have one), but jumping into a project like this will generate new requirements. If you don't have things you need, you will have to get them. See it as an opportunity to get that new Miller 211 you have been wanting. Bring it on. Oh, and while not everyone here will agree... 68 is clearly the best. Matt

post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-05-2013, 09:18 AM
64-67 Expert

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
"If you can get it for less than 10k, then why not?" "68 is clearly the best"....WTF???
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-05-2013, 10:04 AM
Former Moderator

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I read thru the posts before I looked at the link.. I went in with the attitude it may not be a bad looking car in too bad shape. Being that I'm in the rust belt our attitudes are a little different, I went in with an open mind.... Boy was I wrong. A lot of tweaked sheet metal, doors are mismatched since the '69 doesn't have a vent window, and so on. When it looks bad in the pictures, I can imagine what it must look like in person. I guess I could find much better ways to spend $3900..... Nice pic of the forklift under the sway bar picking up the front end......

SOLD.....
462ci, 4spd
Performer Intake, Mild Cam
Pertronix Ignitor III
Accel Super Coil, Accel 8.8mm Wires
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-05-2013, 10:08 AM

Garage
Adam, let me clarify my statement... there are several that will not agree about the 68. As for price, the car you are looking at is certainly not worth $3,900. Matt

post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-05-2013, 10:55 AM

Its VERY hard to find a genuine GTO under 4k. There are alot of people that dont have 25k to plop down on a real nice car. So for some people this car might be a way to atleast get a GTO that they can play with, work on and dream about. But of course it might also turn into a hellish project that someone might begin to hate
I would suggest to continue to look for something in better condition. I personally think local ads tend to be better deals than ebay.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, LeMans & GTO Projects, Barn Finds & Restoration Discussions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in