Who can redo 65 Tempest Bench Seat - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-15-2012, 11:51 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Who can redo 65 Tempest Bench Seat

Morning boys- Here is the deal. I have a 65 Tempest Custom, auto on column, with front bench seat in gold color with brown trim. I am going to change the to a 5spd but I want to keep the front bench seat, just change the color to parchment. I like the design of the Pontiac seat vinyl and want to keep it that way. I can't find a ready made aftermarket cover for the seat so the question is who can put vinyl together to make it look like factory. I want to keep the Tempest design and look as much as possible right up to the point somebody sees the car stuffed with a warmed over 428 tri-power.

Jimmy The Greek

1965 Tempest 215 2 dr cpe soon to be 428 5spd
1969 Firebird 350 cpe

That's my story and I am sticking to it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-15-2012, 04:40 PM

Hi Jimmy sure you don't want to roll & pleat for the old school look? Just kidding sounds have you have a good plan. Love seeing a bench seat car now days cause ain't many of them left!! Know here in Wichita their is a great upholstery shop that can remake anything. Have you looked in the AMES catolog. Cause they have what you are looking for on page 21. 64 Tempest custom W/Bench Seat 429.00 for the set. Wonder if 64 is same as 65 might have to check on that but it would be close for sure!! We need to see Pics. soon too. GOOD LUCK, Les
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-15-2012, 07:43 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Jimmy, Try Legendary Auto Interiors. They make repro interiors and will make custom seat kits also....Eric

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-15-2012, 10:32 PM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Animal View Post
Jimmy, Try Legendary Auto Interiors. They make repro interiors and will make custom seat kits also....Eric
x2. Legendary is pricey, but their quality is the best I've seen anywhere. Worth it, in my opinion.

Bear

BearGFR
Springtown, TEXAS
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-16-2012, 07:32 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FNG69 View Post
Wonder if 64 is same as 65 might have to check on that but it would be close for sure!! We need to see Pics. soon too. GOOD LUCK, Les
Here are a couple of pics of the car as it stands today.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	65 Tempest front seat 16Feb12.jpg
Views:	455
Size:	342.5 KB
ID:	13972   Click image for larger version

Name:	65 Tempest drivers side 16Feb12.jpg
Views:	667
Size:	325.2 KB
ID:	13973   Click image for larger version

Name:	65 Tempest rear seat 16Feb12.jpg
Views:	356
Size:	310.7 KB
ID:	13974   Click image for larger version

Name:	65 Tempest pass side 16Feb12.jpg
Views:	364
Size:	293.2 KB
ID:	13975  

Jimmy The Greek

1969 Firebird 350 cpe

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-16-2012, 07:43 AM
Former Super Moderator

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
`64 would fit, but I think the pattern is not the same. Also, you may need a notch taken out of the front center to allow room for the shifter.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-16-2012, 08:10 AM Thread Starter

Thanks guys- Will check out Ames and Legendary. To be honest if I wasn't going to change colors I could have the seats re padded and one small seam tear fixed and use the existing interior. It is just that good. The car his pretty solid. I know it has had one crappy repaint years ago and some bondo work that was less than perfect but by in large it is a good core to start with.

been driving the car as is for two years now. In the last month I have decided to get some stuff done. I am fortunate to have a solid spare frame which is being blasted right now. Add to that the HPI (see attached pic for another frame with HPI unit) boxing plates, K member, tanny mount and weld in rear cross member plus paint. All of which I hope to have that completed next week. The DSE stage 2 front and stage 1 rear suspension kits should be here this week. A 12 bolt has been gone through with new posi unit, 3.73 gears, moser axles. Already have the Tremec kit from American Powertrain.

And the completely redone Tripower topped 428 should be on the dyno later this month...

I need to pick up the brake package and front steering components in the next couple of days.

My goal that by the end of the month I have a completely redone rolling chassis. Then I will start taking sheet metal off the the car starting with the front clip. Hit those parts aggressively as they are still in good shape. And get them mocked up on the new chassis. Once that is done then bast the body apart and really get into it. When all is don I should have a second complete rolling chassis just sitting there waiting/ no begging to be re-done. then I will be looking for the next 65 project.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HPI weldin box plates k member boltin transmount weldin rear member.jpg
Views:	916
Size:	111.0 KB
ID:	13976  

Jimmy The Greek

1969 Firebird 350 cpe

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-16-2012, 08:22 AM Thread Starter

Rukee-

Man oh man I hope I don't have to notch the seat. My hope is that the shifter location will be the in the same place as the factory three/four speed. That way I can use the factory bench seat shifter profile without having to notch the seat. It will just be another creek to cross when I get to that point. Hopefully it won't be the proverbial SH$% Creek. LOL

From what I am seeing the 65 bench seat pattern shown in the pics above may be unique and may have to be custom made. Hell it's only a couple of bucks more.......at least that is what I will tell the wife..........

Jimmy The Greek

1969 Firebird 350 cpe

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-16-2012, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy The Greek View Post
Here are a couple of pics of the car as it stands today.
WOW that interior is still real nice. Think I would go to a good upholstery shop 1st and check on a repad and patch. You will be surprised at what they can do. Great car!!!!!!!!
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-16-2012, 09:01 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Garage
You'll get it figured out. Anything can "get done".....been there. That is a sweet car ! Eric

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, LeMans & GTO Projects, Barn Finds & Restoration Discussions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in