1971 GT37 seats - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-24-2018, 09:03 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
1971 GT37 seats

Looking for buckets and Center console for 1971 GT-37. Car is automatic. Thank you...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-24-2018, 10:18 PM

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
T-37's & GT-37's were not available with bucket seats, they were only built with the lightweight 233 series front bench seat in either parody cloth & vinyl, or in optional all vinyl. If your plans are to modify the car to use factory strato buckets & console, with either factory '69-72 shifter or previous '68 dual gate shifter, it can be done, have all parts here to do such a conversion. Also know of several other longtime restorer friends across the country that can most likely supply similar pieces.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-25-2018, 08:44 AM

Location: Gastonia, NC - Born & raised in Connecticut - 31 years
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Garage
PH: " T-37's & GT-37's were not available with bucket seats, they were only built with the lightweight 233 series front bench seat in either parody cloth & vinyl, or in optional all vinyl."

Here is a picture of the front seat for reference.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	GT-37 Front Seat.JPG
Views:	42
Size:	57.1 KB
ID:	104617  

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-25-2018, 05:00 PM

Close, but not a '70 or 71 233 series 2 door bench seat interior. what's in the pic is actually a '72 LeMans, but instead of having the correct interior, someone has monkeyed with it. Door panels with pull straps are another clue, they are from higher trim line "Sport" interior.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-25-2018, 05:32 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinion head View Post
Close, but not a '70 or 71 233 series 2 door bench seat interior. what's in the pic is actually a '72 LeMans, but instead of having the correct interior, someone has monkeyed with it. Door panels with pull straps are another clue, they are from higher trim line "Sport" interior.

Hmmm, OK, take a look at these articles of the same car with description which might clear things up?

The article #1 is where the interior shot comes from.

Article #2 - Some more digging reveals that this is actually a 1971 T-37 "restored" wearing GT-37 trim as described in article and claiming to have an original interior design, "Door panels and seat covers are correct, but not available through any vendors, so we had them made out of OE material by SMS auto fabrics in the original design. Many people just put Lemans or GTO panels/seats in them, but we went with the expensive "correct" stuff."

Article #3 is another write-up of the same car.

https://www.hemmings.com/magazine/hm...7/2942671.html

1971 Pontiac T37 T-37 Frame Off Restored, GT37 Trim, Like GTO for sale: photos, technical specifications, description

https://www.hemmings.com/blog/2017/0...pontiac-gt-37/
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-25-2018, 09:14 PM

Jim, the HMN car you have referenced is a mess. whoever wrote the text is just trying to put one over on the uneducated reader/possible purchaser.
- the interior.... the seat is '72 LeMans.
- molded dash is '72 LeMans, note the embossed PONTIAC emblem.
- dash bezel is '72 LeMans, has darker more pronounced grain appliqué than a '71 LeMans or '71 T-37 with rally gauges (aprox 95 % of '71 233 series factory assembled with factory rally gauges used the wood grain '71 LeMans dash bezel)
-the door panels are '72 "Sport" interior door panels. This style with the pull straps & Mylar "racetrack" motif were used only in '72 LeMans 2 door hardtops and converts when ordered with the Sport interior & either strato buckets or strato bench seat (with the food down arm rest).
- the steering wheel is '72+ style with the wood grain on the 3 spoke cover.
-the manual trans shift knob should be the large diam black ball. Not even going to address the totally incorrect color of blue, or the many other issues under the hood.

Factory high performance lightweight '71 & 72 Pontiac lightweight A-bodys are what I'm heavily involved in restoring and have been for many years. Am in middle of a cutting edge Concours restoration on the Engr car, & also have many components rebuilt & detailed for the blue '71 1/2, so it will be darn close to a cutting edge Concours restoration when finished. Both cars are being built initially to be judged at Nationals, then with a simple change of the front head pipes, adding of a rh rear airbag, and swapping to alum brake drums, the goal has always been competing @ Pure Stock drag races.

The door panels on the blue T-37 in the HMN article are definitely the upscale Sport interior 72 panels whether they are used, PUI, or Legendary product. I also own a '72 455 HO GTO & have as a detailing example car, a super low mile Lux LeMans 2door hardtop with the same style "Sport" door panels. The Sport style doorpanels are incorrect for a '71 233 series, & are totally incorrect for any '72 Coupe or any base bench '72 LeMans 2 door hardtop. SMS will custom recreate the exact correct '71 23337 door panels, but the cost is over $1500 for the pair. Have no idea what the matching rear side panels also run from SMS, but I'd hazard every bit of $600 for the pair. The dielectric embossing of the '71 233 series door panel and rear side panel is the same as used on the base '72 LeMans 2 door panels. Same style, same stainless trim. The only difference is, on the '72 base panels there will be a rectangular LeMans or GTO emblem up high on the door panels. The upscale '72 Sport interior door panels, like in the HMM article will not have either of those emblems, the strap is in the way.

On our most recent recovery, a '72 LeMans Coupe factory 400 4spd car, though it's quite rare (1 of 27) just can not justify the major expense of having new door panels & rear side panels made by SMS. Restoring the original bench seats correctly is another 2K-2.5K....neen there. Due to the purpose build of the '72 Coupe, I recently ended up picking up a set of perfect used original '72 standard doorpanels & side panels in black, & am changing the '72 Coupe's interior over to black. I also have a really nice set in blue from parting out a silver/blue interior Coupe many years ago. If the current '72 Coupe had been a factory 455 HO car, yes,mI would have saved saved & spent the funds with SMS. Unfortunately, zero standard (chrome nose) '72 LeMans were factory built with the 455 HO engines, the 455 HO engine in '72 was only avail with the heavy endura frontend, as the RamAir aircleaner was part of the package. Basically boils down to with the 400 4spd Coupe I dont have that expense. The car will just have to get by as what it is.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-25-2018, 09:46 PM

Garage
OK, figured you would be able to pick it apart with the car's description added. Sad that someone would go through all that effort to not only attempt to clone a GT-37, but then get it totally botched and be proud of it.

Am looking forward to seeing a few pics of your car when done and want to see how it runs at the Pure Stock drags - The Super Stock class of yesterday is one of my favorites, not the high dollar crap only billionaires can build that so often graces the pages of today's Hot Rod magazine I get - used to like Hot Rod, not so much any more.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-11-2018, 10:16 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Thanks. I'm asking for my father in law. I'll give him this info. How could he reach you outside of this forum? Yes, he is trying to change it up and run buckets.....Z
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-13-2018, 08:26 PM

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Garage
PH: "goal has always been competing @ Pure Stock drag races. "

If you get up to the PSMCD in Stanton, MI in Sept - please let me know; You'll have some extra fans.

DK

<)))>><

"Pray as though everything depended on God. Work as though everything depended on you." - Saint Augustine
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-13-2018, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by integrity6987 View Post
PH: "goal has always been competing @ Pure Stock drag races. "

If you get up to the PSMCD in Stanton, MI in Sept - please let me know; You'll have some extra fans.
Thanks Integrity! Am a few years out, but that weekend every year, has always been the goal. My son is finishing up last year of college, & we've even talked about how that weekend would eventually be a great father-son experience, even if I have to fly him in. Am working on very similar weight 4 sod 72 LeMans right now, so he can get a lot of seat time before the '71 HO Coupe makes it down the track.

How long have you been attending? Have been to a bunch of national shows but always wanted to take a car every year to Stanton & participate.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > Buy / Sell / Wanted (1964-1974) > 1964-1974 GTO's and Parts Wanted

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in