Pontiac GTO Forum banner

66 gto front coil spring removal and replacement

3K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  PontiacJim 
#1 ·
66 gto front coil spring removal and replacement. Can this be done with safely with the motor out of the car? Or does the motor have to be in the car,

#3 ·
I would suggest leaving the engine in. I did it the other way and the spring was less compressed when I started. That meant I had to strap the springs during the removal so I could reposition the spring compressor. If I had it to do it over, I would have done it before I removed the engine.

#4 ·
Since the springs are being changed out, I have a set of torches and simply cut the springs in half and no need to use the spring compressor when removing.

I also think it depends on the spring compressor design used. I did the springs on my 1992 S-10 a couple years back and the first spring compressor I rented simply would not work no matter what I did. I went to another parts store and rented a different brand compressor that they had and it worked as it should and had no problems. So something to consider as well. :thumbsup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.