Pontiac GTO Forum

Pontiac GTO Forum (https://www.gtoforum.com/forum-index.php)
-   -   '68 GTO resto... Mad Max meets Pro-Tour (https://www.gtoforum.com/f83/68-gto-resto-mad-max-meets-pro-tour-130082/)

curtis.smith68 05-09-2018 03:15 PM

'68 GTO resto... Mad Max meets Pro-Tour

1 Attachment(s)
Yo!

So this is the beginning. I'm as green as a blade of grass in April when it comes to forums but I wanted to find a place to lay down my experiences and progress with this unique personal project. I'm sure there will be many who will cringe at what i've done but I wanted to make this car my own. I wanted to merge modern tech with old-school muscle and the raw brutality that I find in my definition of a true muscle car. GTO's are arguably the first true muscle car and there are plenty of other's who own "Pony" cars that would beg to differ. I love this car and I appreciate what Delorean was trying to do in the mid-late 60's with this car. He appreciated the style of Eruo cars but wanted to merge it will the large size and power that became the GTO. Maybe I'm wrong there but that's my opinion from what I've read.
I'm going to take that and run with it. Unfortunately my budget is not limitless but i feel I am able to make some good compromises. I would love to have the ability to throw in the absolute top of the line products and make this car everything I have ever dreamed of but I don't and I can't. However, i have made some quality decisions and have been extremely satisfied to date...

Enjoy... Below is what I was starting with...

PontiacJim 05-09-2018 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by curtis.smith68 (Post 859402)
Yo!

So this is the beginning. I'm as green as a blade of grass in April when it comes to forums but I wanted to find a place to lay down my experiences and progress with this unique personal project. I'm sure there will be many who will cringe at what i've done but I wanted to make this car my own. I wanted to merge modern tech with old-school muscle and the raw brutality that I find in my definition of a true muscle car. GTO's are arguably the first true muscle car and there are plenty of other's who own "Pony" cars that would beg to differ. I love this car and I appreciate what Delorean was trying to do in the mid-late 60's with this car. He appreciated the style of Eruo cars but wanted to merge it will the large size and power that became the GTO. Maybe I'm wrong there but that's my opinion from what I've read.
I'm going to take that and run with it. Unfortunately my budget is not limitless but i feel I am able to make some good compromises. I would love to have the ability to throw in the absolute top of the line products and make this car everything I have ever dreamed of but I don't and I can't. However, i have made some quality decisions and have been extremely satisfied to date...

Enjoy... Below is what I was starting with...

No, nobody is going to cringe on this forum as we welcome all aspects of "what we do" to our rides, from 100 point restorations to rat rod style. Most preserve the image of the Pontiac with keeping it Pontiac powered. Some go the LS swap, but I am one who scorns with sacrilegious (gross irreverence toward a hallowed thing) abomination (a feeling of disgust or hatred) as it is a slap to the face of such an iconic automobile, and because it was the Pontiac engine that created the image that all have come to know.

However, I am no purist by any means and fall heavy towards the hot rod camp and understand the LS swap - just don't care for it when there are plenty of Pontiac engines available to build. The saying here is, "its your car and build it the way you want to." I considered doing a "Mad Maxx" version of my '68 Lemans - gutted interior, roof spoiler, removing the rear glass/window shelf/trunk lid and inserting a large round "gas tank," roll bar, truck bolt-on fender flares, zoomie header pipes coming out below the rocker panels, dummy blower set-up, matte black, etc..

Instead going the mid-seventies look based more on a drag racer, 455CI, 5-speed, Ford 9", tunnel ram with dual quads, velocity stacks, zoomie header pipes, one piece fiberglass flip nose, stripped interior, roll bar, jacked up in the rear, 12" wide tires hanging out the wheel well, matte black, etc..

So ask all the questions you need and be sure to post pics as the build progresses. It's all about ownership and enjoying your ride. :thumbsup:

deanhickey 05-10-2018 03:14 AM

More power to you, You have to go for it. Keep us in the loop on the build and any problems that you have. I have a 68 Convertible that I am slowly bringing back to original condition. The big thing is to enjoy the process as well as the result. Have fun!!!

curtis.smith68 05-10-2018 09:39 AM

My first engine build...

Quote:

Originally Posted by PontiacJim (Post 859450)
However, I am no purist by any means and fall heavy towards the hot rod camp and understand the LS swap - just don't care for it when there are plenty of Pontiac engines available to build. The saying here is, "its your car and build it the way you want to." I considered doing a "Mad Maxx" version of my '68 Lemans - gutted interior, roof spoiler, removing the rear glass/window shelf/trunk lid and inserting a large round "gas tank," roll bar, truck bolt-on fender flares, zoomie header pipes coming out below the rocker panels, dummy blower set-up, matte black, etc..

:thumbsup:

Thanks man. Many pictures to come. I have a deep love for Pontiac as most do who are fortunate enough to sample their awesomeness...

I'm personally on the fence over the LS swap but I totally appreciate it. You couldn't be more right though... There are more than enough Pontiac blocks out there to keep the heart and soul of these beauties true.

I purchased this car January 2001. I was a senior in high school and, at the time, had a '68 Lemans I wanted to turn into a GTO clone. I purchased a 400 short block and sold the 350 in the Lemans. My best friends dad was selling the GTO for $5k and she was in great shape, I lived in California at the time. I couldn't pass it up. I sold the Lemans, bought my baby and never looked back. It was numbers matching at the time but that wouldn't last...

In the service I was reading Hot ROd and High Performance Pontiac and anything else I could get me hands on. Hot Rod did an article on a Pontiac 400 dyno monster and I was young and dumb and wanted to copy them. I had to replace the block the GTO came with as the lower P/S corner where the bell housing mounts was completely missing. A huge chunk of casting gone, bell housing had a spiderweb of cracks and the trans had one of the mounting lugs welded back on. I couldn't take a chance on the block having internal cracks after taking a hit so strong to have caused this much external damage. The culprit, I suspect, was a speed bump... There were clamps in the front springs to drop it and spacers in the rear springs to lift it... This was all from some kid who was three owners back... I kept the trans but that's it... fortunately I had a spotless 400 short block in my garage all ready from '69.

This is what I made out of it and sadly in my young naivety... I had to cut a gaping hole in the pristine hood... One of my greatest regrets... This engine build would turn into something great... a great learning experience and an even greater jaw dropping near miss that I recently discovered upon taring the engine down for a much better rebuild, which I am currently in the middle of

curtis.smith68 05-10-2018 09:42 AM

1 Attachment(s)
My first build

curtis.smith68 05-10-2018 09:50 AM

Foreshadowing...

5 Attachment(s)
Here she is in her current status today... Much more to come on how I got here and where I'm going... The engine paint is being stripped to go black. I thought the Green would pop under the hood of a satin black body but proved to be yet another naive decision. It was chipping badly and was so hard to keep clean and scratch free... No more spray bomb and time to give it a K.I.S.S.

noob question... how do i submit pictures in the body of the text and not as separate attachments?

curtis.smith68 05-10-2018 10:28 AM

So I built the engine you see above in my first build post and spent good money on good parts. It was my first ever engine build. Speed Pro Pistons, Huge H-beam connecting rods, performer rpm heads with 72cc chambers, punched out 0.040”, huge cam (nearly catastrophically too big and more on this later), bullit proof bell housing, high rise intake, 750 Dominator, centerforce dual friction clutch, March pullies.... etc. about $10k when it was all said and done.

Broke it in and was scare to death on the first startup. She was an absolute beast. Going 80 on the highway, just slowly stabbing the throttle would brake her loose. Even with good meat on the road, 275/60-15. I was so damn proud. I had no idea what damages were beginning, however or how lucky I was she didn’t grenade on me...

Originally a vinyl top... the roof was terrible underneath so we wire wheeled best we could, hit it with rust converter and then did something else I would later regret... rolled on a DIY rhino liner. We wanted the vinyl top contrast and it looked awesome. This was back in 2001. Way before the current amazing reproduction roof skin was even a thing. Today that rhino liner is gone but what the words PITA getting off. I built that engine in ‘04 and I don’t think I put more than 2k miles on in until I put her to bed and never touched her again until last year.

I took a divorce to allow me to actually turn a single wrench on her and for many reasons, I’m glad to be out of that situation.

Now I will pick up with the beginning of the full resto she is going through.....

curtis.smith68 05-10-2018 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by curtis.smith68 (Post 859673)
noob question... how do i submit pictures in the body of the text and not as separate attachments?

N/M Found it....

https://www.gtoforum.com/f10/posting-pictures-5063/

curtis.smith68 05-10-2018 11:37 AM

In the meantime...

For kicks...

Here is my Pinterest board with my inspirations and some of my progress pictures

https://pin.it/mei3hd7ruw3jvv

PontiacJim 05-10-2018 05:47 PM

Don't put yourself down, no shame is allowed here! :nonod: Cars are a learning process and you can only do what you know how to do at that time. Your vision will also change as you change over time. The car will be a great diversion after going through the divorce - done it twice and won't ever get married again. If you have children, include them in your life as much as possible and don't make them choose between parents - as they love both. Took me almost 20 years to rebound from my divorces (the financial aspect) and get back into my '68 Lemans. Then is has taken a number of years to build up the "play money" to do the rebuild the way I want to do it.

The hot rod primer grey spray bomb can look good when new, but it oxidizes, and is not a sealant like paint is - so it breaks down. First did my '68 Lemans in primer grey just to make it one color and presentable knowing it was going to die off on me. Better to get a matte black/semi-gloss paint or if spray painting, have the local paint shop reduce the gloss by adding a flattening agent. You can ask for a 60% gloss for example. Then you will have a paint like any other that can be washed, cleaned, and assume waxed. When the time comes, I'll have my paint store mix me a few samples at different percentages of gloss, spray a panel, and see what I like. You can also do this with any color. I think some colors actually look better dulled out slightly than a high gloss finish - it can pull out some of the body lines better in my opinion.

The engine looks like a good starting place seeing you have already done it once. Cubes rule and with the complete kits that can up the cubes of a 400CI to 461 or so, it is one of the best bangs for your buck - if you need to go this way due to a change of parts in your engine. Often, many will select a cam that can be too big. Sure, very cool to have gobs of HP on tap that instantly fries tires - even I like that, but if you really want to do some cruising or take in a show you may have to drive a few hours to get to and don't have that truck and trailer to tow it with, you want to make some compromises on the cam. That's where the bigger cubes of a stroker kit can come into play by adding more torque at lower RPM's to replace the radical cam and still get the same end result - a tire shredder. So you have options.

Keep in mind that some of us here do not have an "account" with Pinterest so we cannot fully see all the pics. If you use Pinterest for your build, keep this in mind and share a few pics with us on the forum. :thumbsup: