Pontiac GTO Forum banner

Need a little rear spring advice on my 65 GTO

7K views 13 replies 11 participants last post by  dcgayhart 
#1 ·
I bought new Moog springs to replace my old because the rear was much lower than the front. It's still low. Anyone know of another similar A body spring I could use? I'm currently looking at 69 big block El Camino rears.

Any help would be appreciated

#2 · (Edited)
#3 ·
Most 1st generation (64-67) GTOs sag in the rear. I have a 65 that had the same problem (Even more so after I rebuilt the front end) and I cured it by installing new springs and a set of air shocks. It cured the problem and now the car sits right. I run 60 psi ion them with zero issues.

#5 ·
You think zero issues but the upper shock tower isn't designed to carry the weight of the car.
It is very difficult to weld them up after you damage them.
Remember GTO's sat a little lower in the rear from the factory so it isn't sag but intentional design.
Best to use spacers or airbags but it you go more than an inch you will need longer shocks.
Here is a pic of my '67 with one inch spacers which gives the car a slight rake.

Attachments

#4 ·
What is the distance from the ground to the: (1) running board ~18" inward of the wheel and (2) top of wheel well arch? Also do the same for the front.

You may have the right rear and wrong front....

#13 ·
agree

my thought exactly, you may have the wrong front. the front springs differ depending on the weight of the front of the car variables including, model of car, trim, year of car, a.c. or not, etc. some after market supplier could easily provide the wrong front spring.

#8 ·
Springs wont change much if anything at all. The rate changes, not the height.

I used 2 inch blocks made for springs. Car has a nice rake now and the shock mounts are safe . As mentioned the shock mounts arent made to support the weight, the spring perches are.

#9 ·
If you use station wagon springs, which are taller, springs will change the height. If you do a search using the Google Custom Search in the upper right hand corner, you will find an assortment of recommended springs. This has been cover a number of times and you should find a few good suggestions. :thumbsup:

#10 ·
I believe I used springs from a 72 olds wagon that had both the correct pigtail ends and ride height. I may be off a year or 2, but pretty certain Moog wagon springs did the trick on my 67. If your perches differ (possible you have no pigtails on top), you can cut the pigtails off and still get the ride height you are looking for, just measure for perch fitment before you cut.

#11 ·
I think my best option is to call Coil Spring Specialties. I talked to Kevin and he was vey helpful assessing the problem. He had me do a couple of measurements and we talked about spring rates also. I ordered a new set to replace the Moog 5237's. They will have 2" more lift and a 20% higher spring rate. I should have them in a couple weeks. I'll keep you all posted. Thanks for your help.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.