Pontiac GTO Forum banner

64-69 differentials

1K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  PontiacJim 
#1 ·
Earlier I posted about my 65 differential. As I stated it was 3.55:1 with Eaton carrier. What it was supposed to be was 3.73:1 and I did not know what brand gears and carrier,
I was considering ordering Yukon for an Auburn carrier,then found out it was Richmond gears with Eaton. Which is better Eaton/Richmond or Yukon/ Auburn ?

#4 ·
Do you plan on doing this swap/installation yourself?

You probably can't go wrong with either combo. If you do some research, many will say that the Richmond gears have a tendency to sometimes whine from what I read. It may be an installation thing, cut of the gear teeth, the gear ratio, or type of metal used.

I can't help you as I went with an aftermarket Ford 9" for strength. I did not want to use a "limited slip" posi and went with an aftermarket Power Traxx "locker" which has no clutch discs to wear out. I used Richmond gears knowing they might whine a bit, but I had a good Nascar rear axle builder assemble the whole thing together and set all the clearances, so I should be OK.

The factory 8.2" 10-bolt will only hold up to so much abuse and with the posi, you will be putting more pressure on the carrier if you plan on hammering the car. Wider tires for more traction can add to this strain. Automatics are a bit easier on the rear ends. The better 10-bolt is the later 1971 and up 8.5" which has been covered here in depth. So keep this in mind if you have any kind of high horsepower above stock and/or plan on exercising that gas pedal. :thumbsup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.