Pontiac GTO Forum banner

GTO Newbie

3K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  Rukee 
#1 ·
I am a babe in the woods when it comes to GTOs. But I have set my mind to restore a GTO. I have located a man not far from my home who has several from 1965 through 72.. These cars are not in the best condition but he has priced them all at $3500.00 except one(doesn't really want to sell but is in a position that he needs to) No Judges on the property. there are two 1968 GTOs that look to be restorable with enough muscle and green stuff. One is a numbers car that he wants $5500.00 for. I have no idea if these prices are ok or high. need help to figure it out.

#2 ·
Welcome to the fun....:party:
Need pics and specific details to determine value. How much metal replacement on the numbers matching ? Does it run, etc. etc. 68's are not the most sought after and don't bring the price that other years do (sorry Greengoat). Most real GTO's will get $3500 for a project if it is fairly complete and savable.

#3 ·
That's ok. That's one of the reasons I like it. It's not popular. Don't see too many on the road in my travels. I do see alot of the more popular '69's(comparing just the 2 years). Then again, I really didn't buy it with investment in mind. I bought for the FUN factor!!:party:

#4 ·
That's ok. That's one of the reasons I like it. It's not popular. Don't see too many on the road in my travels. I do see a lot of the more popular '69's(comparing just the 2 years). Then again, I really didn't buy it with investment in mind. I bought for the FUN factor!!:party:
That's right !!!! similar to my 67 Camaro, everyone wants/needs a 69 and can't understand why I have a lowly 67. 2 words......vent windows. ONLY Camaro with them...:cheers

#5 ·
Sign me up for the Vent Window Brigade...that's why I like '68 GTO's WAAAAAY better than '69's....that, and '68's still have the cool Hurst Dualgate, nicer tail lights, better grille, etc. etc. '69 Camaros, though nice, always looked pregnant compared to the first gen '67 and '68's. I too like the '67 because of the vent windows. Who asked for or wanted "Astro Ventilation" anyway???

#8 ·
Cool! Let's hear it for vent windows!:cheers My wife really likes them too. Also, the ign. switch in a '68 is still in the dash not the column. I believe a '69 has a padded glovebox and steering wheel center(or at least a plastic center). Too modern for me... Although, I could jump to a '70 - '72. Had a '72 Lemans that I loved... I too favor the first gen Camaro's..... And Firebirds.... By the way, not dumping on our '69 friends......:seeya:

#10 ·
O'yeah, if I went "older school", I would get a '66. I really like the tail section. Lites/flared tail panel. The flared panel, in my book, really makes it unique. Seems like people either really like/dislike that section. Not a whole lot of middle ground...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.