Pontiac GTO Forum banner
21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,104 Posts
I don't mean to hijack anything but reading about the water pump adjustments here I have a question or concern, I have an 11 bolt flow cooler pump on my 461 that was all assembled by Butler and a couple of years ago I blew out the pump bearings running my belt to tight. So I ordered the same flow cooler pump and slapped it on not touching any of the plates, so is that ok or should I have done any adjustments to anything? Thanks for letting me butt in.

·
Registered
89 Posts
The official clearance is "as tight as you can get it without it actually rubbing" 😁
That's what I was trying to say, but you said it better.

Baaad65, if the plate was adjusted to the first pump then you should be fine since Flow Cooler should have pretty tight production tolerances on the same model water pump. Most manufacturers error on the loose side since too much clearance doesn't get noticed while not enough will generate noise complaints and a returned product. So if you didn't clearance the first pump, the second will probably be off by a like amount.

·
Premium Member
1,104 Posts
That's what I was trying to say, but you said it better.

Baaad65, if the plate was adjusted to the first pump then you should be fine since Flow Cooler should have pretty tight production tolerances on the same model water pump. Most manufacturers error on the loose side since too much clearance doesn't get noticed while not enough will generate noise complaints and a returned product. So if you didn't clearance the first pump, the second will probably be off by a like amount.
Ok that's a relief, no noises 👍 here's why you don't overtighten your belt 😉
Hood Sleeve Grille Material property Automotive lighting
Rim Bicycle part Auto part Electric blue Wood
Light Motor vehicle Automotive tire Bicycle part Rim

21 - 23 of 23 Posts