Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my brother just got an 03 mach 1, which if you didnt know has the 32v naturally aspirated 4.6l. its a 5 speed. we were dickin around a little bit and wound up next to each other at a red light. he isnt too good with the clutch so we didnt launch but ran from a slow roll. we were pretty much neck and neck all the way through second and then he missed 3rd. he had a passenger and tcs on, i turned mine off before hand. he claims that tcs cut his power badly in second, but i doubt it knowing the insignificant effect the tcs has on my car in 1-2 shifts, and since we didnt launch i dont think my tcs being off made a difference. long story short hes talking crap and didnt even beat me.
mustang guys:lol:

·
Registered
377 Posts
An '03 Mach "should" take an LS1 GTO, at least a few mph in trap seed but good kill. Beat the driver and the car.

FYI, leaving the ESP on with the SRT-8s kills hp too.

·
Premium Member
4,162 Posts
my brother just got an 03 mach 1, which if you didnt know has the 32v naturally aspirated 4.6l. its a 5 speed. we were dickin around a little bit and wound up next to each other at a red light. he isnt too good with the clutch so we didnt launch but ran from a slow roll. we were pretty much neck and neck all the way through second and then he missed 3rd. he had a passenger and tcs on, i turned mine off before hand. he claims that tcs cut his power badly in second, but i doubt it knowing the insignificant effect the tcs has on my car in 1-2 shifts, and since we didnt launch i dont think my tcs being off made a difference. long story short hes talking crap and didnt even beat me.
mustang guys:lol:
When yall get serious, stock Mach1 and stock 04 GTO is a drivers race.

·
Registered
3,445 Posts
I've got a friend with a Mach1. He runs pretty consistant at 13.3-13.5. In the same conditions my 05 GTO would run 13.1 and my 96 LT4 C4 Vette ran 13.3.

In similar conditions I've seen 04 GTO's run 13.5-13.7. My friend has an intake on his Mach.

I'm seconding GM4life. A great drivers race.

·
Registered
377 Posts
No, an S197 GT would be driver's race. A Mach 1 with equal drivers should beat it by a little bit every time.

·
Registered
3,445 Posts
No, an S197 GT would be driver's race. A Mach 1 with equal drivers should beat it by a little bit every time.
I've seen several articles comparing the Mach to the 04 GTO. The GTO and the Mach are within a tenth. The 04 is a full tenth quicker than the S197.

·
Registered
377 Posts
I've seen several articles comparing the Mach to the 04 GTO. The GTO and the Mach are within a tenth. The 04 is a full tenth quicker than the S197.
A tenth? That isn't even statistically significant and further supports my case. On any given day a Mach 1 will also trap higher than an '04 GTO. However, it doesn't look like much. Definitely a driver's race....I change my opinion slightly:

2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club

vs. LS1GTO.com Forums - LS1 N/A Stock and Modified Classes with a couple of awfully suspect trap speeds that are obviously BS.

·
Premium Member
1,274 Posts
a tenth IS significant if you lose your race by one...I think that's why many race's are drivers races...see how well we get along???...:D
Bill

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
I realize I have an LS2 and not LS1, but still, I've ran one on the interstate and had no problems making him nervous as hell getting up to about a foot off his bumper and riding him letting him know he couldn't outrun me. He went wide open throttle as soon as he got off the onramp and onto the interstate. It took me a few seconds to catch up to him but once I was there, he had petered out and I was just along for the ride. He wanted to go from a stop light and I ignored him because I had my then fiance-now wife in the car with me at the time. He ripped out of the intersection and hit the same onramp that I was taking so I got to let him know he wasn't faster then me before my old lady came unglued and made me slow down. I would think that an LS1 GTO would have a pretty good chance with one.

·
Registered
120 Posts
An '03 Mach "should" take an LS1 GTO, at least a few mph in trap seed but good kill. Beat the driver and the car.

FYI, leaving the ESP on with the SRT-8s kills hp too.
Hey Deuuuce you're a little off. The LS1 GTO in tests actually traps higher than the Mach 1 but is not as quick in the 1/4. Basically the GTO would win by a little from a roll and the Mach 1 would win in a race to 100 stock vs stock.

I've seen races between the two and the LS1 is stronger up top. At the dragstrip I put my money on a well driven Mach. I've seen a 13.1 at 105 from a stock one while the average LS1 GTO which is tougher to launch is 13.3-13.5 on most good runs.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Hey Deuuuce you're a little off. The LS1 GTO in tests actually traps higher than the Mach 1 but is not as quick in the 1/4. Basically the GTO would win by a little from a roll and the Mach 1 would win in a race to 100 stock vs stock.

I've seen races between the two and the LS1 is stronger up top. At the dragstrip I put my money on a well driven Mach. I've seen a 13.1 at 105 from a stock one while the average LS1 GTO which is tougher to launch is 13.3-13.5 on most good runs.
I don't know. If you look at the links I posted on the other page, throw out the questionable ones, it looks really close. The Mach may even have the edge by .5-1mph. Too close to speculate, really.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I don't know. If you look at the links I posted on the other page, throw out the questionable ones, it looks really close. The Mach may even have the edge by .5-1mph. Too close to speculate, really.
The GTO is stronger up top but not by much. From a stop I'm putting my money on a well driven Mach 1 though. Like I said I've seen races between the two and the GTO slowly pulls away at 80+.

·
Registered
137 Posts
This whole thread just makes the claims that some Mach1 owners make look even more silly. They can barely hang with a 3700lb LS1 GTO yet they claim they are a drivers race for a 3300lb LS1 F-Body.

I am not discrediting the LS1 GTO in any way but well all know a LS2 is a good run for the LS1 F-Body and a LS2 GTO tears up Mach1's. I have had both a LS2 GTO and a few LS1 F-Bodies and cannot count how many arguments I have had with Mach1 guys.

Whether they like it or not LS1 GTO = Mach1 and LS1 F-Body > Mach1.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts