Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are you guys with the 04's at all dissapointed that you didn't wait, or that the price for the 05's are about the same? Anything you wish you had that the 05's do?

Thinking about getting an 05 later next year when the prices are like the 04's are now.

I really like the LS2, and it really pushed me away from an 04 cobra.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Not really, I got it $7,500 below MSRP and I don't have a GM credit card.

The only thing for me would be the new hood, but I can buy one and do quite a lot of other improvements with half of that $7,500. In the meantime, I'll be enjoying the 2004 while others are waiting a year to get a good deal on a 2005. :)

It's the same with computers. You can keep waiting for the same version to get cheaper or a faster model to come out. Buy it at a reasonable price and enjoy it instead of waiting.

·
Registered
49 Posts
No. I don't like the hood scoops or the two-sided exhaust. I also liked getting one of the first GTOs in my area. I wouldn't mind the upgraded brakes, but I'll probably just get a set of Baers later.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I actually prefer the 04's over the 05's. I like the clean, sleek look of the 04. The hood scoops and rear exhaust design make it look a little too "boy-racer" for me. Plus, I bought my 04 for $8100 under MSRP.

·
Registered
674 Posts
djdub said:
Most likely, nobody here is going to admit buyers remorse, even if they do have some.
I had 275hp before the mods in my Z28. I disconnected the MSD and after three or four days no longer noticed it was missing.

When I was autocrossing my Porsche I was reading Panorama and saw an ad for a chip. I was sitting in the kitchen with my wife and I read the ad to her.

She said to me "you cant handle the 208hp your S2 has, with more HP you will just kill more cones"

So I guess the cones will be happy I dont have an 05.

No buyers remorse here at 285 a month, even less if I get the other $3000 and payment drops to 200 a month.

I dont think the 05s will go as cheap as the 04s unless in july they announce 450 hp for the 06.

I dont like the way the scoops look in the pictures. I have a 68 Firebird and prefer the 350 hood over the 400 hood. Nuff said!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the input guys. Unfortunatley, I do have to wait.

I'm getting hitched soon, so we're saving money, and also if I do buy a GTO, it'll be my fun little weekend toy, and so I'll have to get my Regal paid down a little more.

it's a 2001, Regal GS (supercharged 3800, sister to the GTP, but with more luxury)

·
Registered
67 Posts
I think the rear bumper on the '04 is much better than that tacky looking gray strip on the '05. I only want hood scoops if there is an intake or a blower attached to it. I dont need fake hood and brake scoops adding drag like on the last generation Mustangs. '04 GTO is rated at like 17-29 mpg and i get like 18mpg. The 05's are rated at like 16-25 mpg. With all the wheelspin you could probally just get an '04 with bigger, stickier tires to pull as hard as on '05. As far as a deadpedal my legs just about rests on the firewall anyway. There is no way i was gunna wait another 12 months to get $9k off sticker price if they are going to have the same deals in a year. I figure 400hp is pretty easily attainable with the LS1 if i want it.

-Frank

·
Registered
25 Posts
I love the look of my 04 with a couple exceptions, neither of which are fixed on the 05. The 04 needs better wheels and could be lowered an inch, both of which are easily done on the aftermarket scene and both of which are still probelms in the 05.

As far as power, the 04 made about 300rwhp and the 05 should get 340rwhp. With the extra $ you pay for a new 05 vs. a new 04 you can easily make up the power difference and then some. You can buy an 04 Goat for around 25k, spend 6k on a street legal package that gets close to 400rwhp and still wind up a couple grand cheaper than an 05 Goat, with a significantly faster car and money in your denims.

If you really, really like the hood or something, you can buy it and break even, still with a faster car. That's my outlook as I just got my 2004 GTO, conservately modded and delivered with over 375rwhp, for less than the price of an 05 by a couple grand, which I've already begun spending on other goodies, like a dash kit, floor mats, audio upgrade, etc.

·
Registered
64 Posts
No regrets on the 04,saved $8,400 off list. I do like the 05 hood with the scoops which I still can do on the 04 for around a grand or so. Like one of the previous posters, I do not like the rear look of the 05 with that grey strip on it between the exhaust pipes.

·
Registered
37 Posts
NAY buyers remorse here; not just for the deal I got. 350 to 400 horse isn't a stretch, (esp. with the myriad of bolt-on's available!) just a tip: with the lowered production #'s and added features (HP, brakes, etc) for '05, you'll NEVER see deals like the '04's again...

·
Registered
38 Posts
I enjoy this "kick in the pants" feeling while driving this goat and also the price I got it for on Dec 13th. As far as 350 against the 400, yeah it is down on power but with the money I saved on the price of the car I am sure I can find 50hp some place.

Enjoy a Goat now or wait!!!

·
Registered
432 Posts
Just FYI, I think you can get the normal hood (no ram air) on the 05 GTO. Hood Scoop delete option. I like scoops myself.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts