Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what all is needed to convert the 04 brakes to bigger 05-06?

·
Registered
50 Posts
I know you need like shims for the bolts. New rotors obviously. And new brake lines I believe. I'm thinkin of doin it myself soon. The 04 brakes just seem a bit weak. But there are other threds on this, so just search some more. N search on google too, I bet you'll find some threds on this on LS1gto too

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
what about the calipers? would ie be possible to just upgrade calipers and rotors? I wouldnt think anything else would need it but I'm new to the goat.

·
Former Moderator
4,081 Posts
Calipers and rotors are the conversion but you need brake lines and bushings with new bolts to mount them to the car. I got my rotors/calipers from Cleveland Pick-a-part and was surprised that the rotors came already turned and looking near new. I got Russel brake lines and C5 Corvette ceramic pads from Maryland Speed and bushings and bolts from McMaster. The bushings are one of two things you can do. The '05-'06 are mounted with bigger bolts and you can either drill and retap your mounting place or use the '04 stock sized bolt and use the bushing to adapt to the hole in the caliper. It's a pretty straight forward job..

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
would there be any way to just get new fittings for the lines instead of running whole new ones?

·
Registered
3,765 Posts
I'd rather have upgraded 04 pads/rotors then stock 05/06 brakes... but if you plan on going with better rotors and pads with the 05/06 its def worth it.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'd rather have upgraded 04 pads/rotors then stock 05/06 brakes... but if you plan on going with better rotors and pads with the 05/06 its def worth it.
upgraded as in drilled and slotted? or something else?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts