Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Call it an obsession, call it too much free time, call it what you will, but I'm doing a cumulative (can never spell that dang word...) production review of the new GTO. Basically just gathering all the information in one place for easy viewing for people to look up certain options, order codes, whatever. Before I get too far along, I just want to put up what I have so far to see if there are any major flaws or improvements I can make.

I'll eventually add each sucessive year with a link at the top, and have links along the left side to each subsection of each year...I'mlacking both currently in this stripped down version.

Comments, suggestions? Yup, I already know I need a life and have WAY too much free time, lol.

Linky winky:
http://www.zjstech.net/~library/368/GTO/04_MASTER.htm

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
GNX231 said:
very cool i was wondering it says a cyclone grey 05 has grey dash or red dash and that it was chaned to red 2-14-05 does this mean some 05's have the grey dash?
According to press releases the ordering guide was changed on 2-14-05 to read that the cyclone gray has red gauges instead of gray....I assumed this to be a mid-year change, typical in higher production models.

On the Pontiac website it still lists grey gauges for Cyclone Gray.

I need to upgrade some of the pictures, espically the interior ones, but I just grabbed then ones from the GM Fleet site for the time being.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, according to the fact sheets over at www.gmfleet.com, the 6-speed code is MN6, there is no M12 listed, at least there, for '04 or '05. So I'm not really sure...I've been out of the GTO loop for quite sometime and am not aware of any immediate discrepencies, one reason I posted here. I have found M12 listed in the original GTO press release way back in 11/03, but in the past I've found that pre-production press releases to not be fully correct in regard to production models.

I'd greatly appreciate any inside info on what the proper RPO code is for the 6-speed. I'm only working with publicly availble resources, maybe someone on the inside has better sources?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah, I grabbed those figures but I'm weary to post them without full consent of the original poster...I'll probably just link to them so not only will this site get even more exposure, but clear myself of using information that I'm not entitled to.

I'll be sure to post up the entire thing when I'm done, which shouldn't take long, as there aren't too many differences in '04 and '05s.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I 'finished' the guides, I'll be adding more features and information as I find it and implement it. Right now it has 04, 05 and 06 information, as well as some general information like VINs and such.

Does anyone happen to know the rear-end gear ratio? Is it 3.45 or 3.65? I found the info once, forgot to write it down, and haven't been able to find the info since.

http://www.zjstech.net/~library/368/GTO/05_MASTER.htm

·
Registered
3,445 Posts
Tiger said:
I 'finished' the guides, I'll be adding more features and information as I find it and implement it. Right now it has 04, 05 and 06 information, as well as some general information like VINs and such.

Does anyone happen to know the rear-end gear ratio? Is it 3.45 or 3.65? I found the info once, forgot to write it down, and haven't been able to find the info since.

http://www.zjstech.net/~library/368/GTO/05_MASTER.htm
Rear end ratio is 3.46.
The transmission issue for the M6 cars. Here is what I know. My cars build sticker lists MN6 M12. What I take that to mean is that the order code for a 6 speed is MN6 and the transmission is the M12. Also looking at the gear ratios listed in Car & Driver in their infamous GTO/ Mustang test they list the gear ratios for the M12.

MN6 M12
1 2.66 2.97
2 1.78 2.07
3 1.30 1.43
4 1.00 1.00
5 .74 .84
6 .50 .57

Some one stated tha GM uses the term "merchandising nomenclature" for the MN6 on GTO's to mean 6 speed cars.

·
Registered
3,445 Posts
Hey something else I just noticed, They list the hp as [email protected]'s and the torque as [email protected] rpm's. Further down and also in every road test I've seen they list it as [email protected] 6000 and [email protected]

They also list the maximum GVW as 8600lbs. That should mean that we could tow a 4000 lb trailer. Then further down it shows a maximum trailer towing of 1000lbs and only with the automatic.

Oh well, neat site. Thanks.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
fergyflyer said:
Rear end ratio is 3.46.
The transmission issue for the M6 cars. Here is what I know. My cars build sticker lists MN6 M12. What I take that to mean is that the order code for a 6 speed is MN6 and the transmission is the M12. Also looking at the gear ratios listed in Car & Driver in their infamous GTO/ Mustang test they list the gear ratios for the M12.

MN6 M12
1 2.66 2.97
2 1.78 2.07
3 1.30 1.43
4 1.00 1.00
5 .74 .84
6 .50 .57

Some one stated tha GM uses the term "merchandising nomenclature" for the MN6 on GTO's to mean 6 speed cars.
lol, I originally had MN6 as the code, but changed it to read M12 after seeing data plates of 6-speed cars reading only M12. But what about the different gear ratios then? In Road & Track, they list the ratios for the M12 as above, but GM releases list the MN6 ratios as above, and MN6 as the 6-speed code with no mention of M12 anywhere. So i'm not sure which is true. Maybe I'll put both in the guide until it's figured out.

Fergy-
The GVWR isn't 8600 lbs, it's only 4465. Check the sticker on the drivers door jamb. A GVWR of 8600 lbs is about the same as a midsized truck. Subtract passengers, luggage, and fluid weight, and the weight of a trailer is only 1000 lbs. Shoot, even the owners manual says that the GTO isn't recommended for trailer towing.

As to the different RPM listings, thats just pure human error. What I get for rushing, I'll change it accordingly.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.