Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do ya 'spose it would take to get an 04 to 400rwhp without hurting the mileage any? Would a K&N, a MAF sensor and a tune get a guy close? I just feel so inferior pulling up next to my buddy's 05 :rolleyes: I'd hate to have to get any more severe and starting hurting the mileage though...

·
Registered
53 Posts
Those mods are only good for about 20rwhp so you're still about 80hp shy. Don't change the factory MAF, it's fine as is.

The only way to get 400rwhp in an '04 and retain gas milage is with a power adder like Magnacharger, procharger or STS turbo.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Bear in mind that the '05 doesn't have 400 rwhp, that is the hp at the crank. It realistically has 350-360 rwhp stock. To get your '04 to that level a CAI, mild cam, and a tune would probably do it; adding headers would definately put you over the top.

To get 400 RWHP would be more in the realm of new heads, cam, LT headers, and a tune; or, as stated, some sort of forced induction (supercharger or turbo).

None of this should serious affect gas mileage as long as you keep your foot out it most of the time.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
John Millican said:
Those mods are only good for about 20rwhp so you're still about 80hp shy. Don't change the factory MAF, it's fine as is.

The only way to get 400rwhp in an '04 and retain gas milage is with a power adder like Magnacharger, procharger or STS turbo.
I appreciate the help, but I'm a little confused. K&N advertises their intakes to be good for 18.xx hp all by themselves on the 04 specifically. Won't a tune add 15 on top of that? Does everyone agree changing the MAF is worthless?

The 04s are 350hp stock, right? Leaving (at most) 30hp to go after the above mods.

I'm not trying to be argumentative, I'm learning about all of this as I go :D

And I really do appreciate the comments...

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
diverdan said:
Bear in mind that the '05 doesn't have 400 rwhp, that is the hp at the crank. It realistically has 350-360 rwhp stock. To get your '04 to that level a CAI, mild cam, and a tune would probably do it; adding headers would definately put you over the top.

To get 400 RWHP would be more in the realm of new heads, cam, LT headers, and a tune; or, as stated, some sort of forced induction (supercharger or turbo).

None of this should serious affect gas mileage as long as you keep your foot out it most of the time.
I see now the error in my thinking...rear wheel vs. crank.
At any rate, your advice is quite helpful. Any thoughts on cams to look at?
Thx! :cheers

·
Registered
144 Posts
novolvo said:
K&N advertises their intakes to be good for 18.xx hp all by themselves on the 04 specifically. Won't a tune add 15 on top of that?
You have to be careful with the power gains claimed by various bolt-on parts manufacturers. The numbers are very optimistic and are probably not what you would see in actual use. Alot of these bolt-ons acheive those great gains when they are placed on non-stock motors that really need more airflow that the stock system provides. If in doubt about a particular part, I would look carefully at the supporting info a manufacturer provides regarding how they got the numbers they claim.

Also, you can't just add the HP increase numbers of bolt-on parts to see what you would get (ex. CAI 15hp + Cat back 15hp + New Throttle body 15hp = 45 HP gain = 395 hp motor): the parts all help but their gains are not linear and independant of each other. In the above example your total gain might really be 20hp or so.

A tune would benefit a stock car at least by leaning out the AF mixture some; its debatable whether it is worth the cost for stock. However, a tune becomes more beneficial as you add things to the car (CAI, headers, cam) because then you can make more significant adjustments to the program to take advantage of the flow of the new parts.

I hope this helps.

·
Registered
590 Posts
My goat is now a pig for fuel, after the cam package.

I swear, I can see the gas gage move.

Computer shows consumption down to 2.0 - 2.5 mph on hard accel :rofl:

·
Registered
3,445 Posts
On my 02 Z28 with a Corsa Cat-back (Mfg. claims 15hp) an LS1 Motorsports intake (Mfg claims 10-15 hp) and a good tune, I gained 20 hp at peak. The difference is the powerband at low and high rpms. Looking at 3000 rpms I had 32 more hp than stock, and looking at 5600 rpms I had 28 more hp. My fuel economy did not change at all with the mods.

Don't mess with the MAF sensor. The stock one works great.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Assuming you don't gun it at every stop light, more air flowing into the intake and out the exhaust can actually boost MPG, right? Or is that another K&N urban legend? It makes sense...a better air/fuel mixture should make you more efficient, right? If i'm wrong, someone set me straight, please...

·
Registered
139 Posts
I installed a K&N CAI and then had it dyno'ed and got 308RWHP; my friends stock 04 put down 301RWHP. I can't say for sure if it really helps because I didn't dyno my car stock but, I believe that the RWHP difference was from the K&N.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts