Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my 04 for about a year and a half. Installed Superchips about 8 months ago, and just had a real strange occurance. Turned on the car and the speedo starts bouncing from 0 to 120, then stops on 90. I put the car in gear, and the speedo sits in 200 until I reach 45 mph, then it registers correct speed. When the speed falls below 45, speedometer bounces from 0 to 200. When I stop, it registers 90. I reprogramed with Superchips, and it has been normal . Any similar or other happenings with Superchips? Any explanation?

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
I have no idea.

There is just so much electronically controlled on cars now, my personal opinioin is if you haven't been to school for it, and/or don't have the diagnostic equipment it's best left alone.

That said, I think a lot of people do modify the computer for power gains- -

I realize this was absolutely no help:confused

·
Registered
176 Posts
I believe this TSB may be what your talkin' about.

found at:
http://www.gtoforum.com/showthread.php?t=3392

Make : PONTIAC Model : GTO Year : 2004
Manufacturer : GENERAL MOTORS CORP.
Service Bulletin Num : 050849003 Date of Bulletin: JAN 01, 2005
NHTSA Item Number: 10013486
Component: ENGINE AND ENGINE COOLING
Summary:
SPEEDOMETER ERRATIC MOVEMENT FUEL GAUGE DOES NOT GO TO FULL AFTER FILLING ENGINE COOLANT TEMPERATURE GAUGE READS HOT AND COOLANT TEMPERATURE LIGHT ILLUMINATES. *EH
Check to Request Research.

Might be, might not be.

Monica

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Clear cut case of the gages acting up. Your Superchip installation has nothing to do with it. Visit your dealer and take a copy of the TSB with you.

·
Registered
97 Posts
b_a_betterperson said:
Clear cut case of the gages acting up. Your Superchip installation has nothing to do with it. Visit your dealer and take a copy of the TSB with you.
Yep happened to mine - 15 minutes outside of the dealers lot - scared the piss out of me. After the intital spike it hasn't happened since.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts