Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have shifter rattle during anytype of acceleration in you M6 GTO?

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
The shift knob has been known to cause a rattling sound because of its design. It's pressure fit to the shaft instead of threaded. Just pull the knob off and run a piece of electrical tape up one side of the shaft, over the top, and down the other. Press the knob tightly into place -- and you'll be all set. I did this when installing my B&M -- and it has worked like a charm. Can't remember if you have to pull the console cover or not. Either way, it's a simple and effective fix.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
b_a_betterperson said:
The shift knob has been known to cause a rattling sound because of its design. It's pressure fit to the shaft instead of threaded. Just pull the knob off and run a piece of electrical tape up one side of the shaft, over the top, and down the other. Press the knob tightly into place -- and you'll be all set. I did this when installing my B&M -- and it has worked like a charm. Can't remember if you have to pull the console cover or not. Either way, it's a simple and effective fix.
You will need to pop the console cover off, as the knob and boot come off as a single assy.

The rattle is very common, and very annoying. I haven't gotten arounf to fixing the damned thing yet, but will soon make the time.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys, WTY should cover this but since its so easy i might just do it myself.

·
Registered
344 Posts
BlownGTO said:
Anyone have shifter rattle during anytype of acceleration in you M6 GTO?
Does it go away after car warms up? Thats what mine does, I think its Engin vibration. I know knob not loose I used epoxy on it. Mine is worse after sitting a fiew days If I drive daily goes away prety fast. I have 4K mi and Royal Purple in Trany.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Holden said:
Does it go away after car warms up? Thats what mine does, I think its Engin vibration. I know knob not loose I used epoxy on it. Mine is worse after sitting a fiew days If I drive daily goes away prety fast. I have 4K mi and Royal Purple in Trany.
Mine is always there, warm or cold, hard or soft accel.:willy:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts