Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone also noticed excessice tire wear on the outer edge of their front tires?
My 04 GTO has 6,000 miles on it, and I am going to have the tires rotated for the first time on this Monday. I think that I might have been accellerating too fast into my turns, but it was fun doing it at the time.
The tread is nearly completely bald on the outer edges of my front tires. I have listened for any signs of a bad wheel alignment, but I can't say that I heard anything unusual. My GTO also stays dead center in the traffic lane when ever I briefly relax my grip on the steering wheel.
I want to keep the stock 17 inch rimms. What brand of tires should I purchase to replace the stock G-Force tires? I am confident that I can make it to at least 20,000 miles; or possibly 25,000 miles before I need to buy new tires.
I have seen another 04 GTO with the same type of wear on its tires. I have heard on this forum that there is some degree of negative camber on the 04 GTOs.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Negative camber does not make excessive tire wear on the outside. Negative camber will put more stress on the inside the tire. Also a little hint, Camber is not what kills tires, Toe is the big killer. Preferrably when setting your car up for the twistys if you have camber plates you want at least 3 degrees or more. The more the better, well to a point. To tell you the truth the tires that come on the GTO stock are piles of crap. I would look into a good set of Pirellis you will spend more money but get optimal grip. If you are looking for a good set up of moderately cheap tires go over and visit www.kumho.com. Hope this helps a lil.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I have the Kumho Ecsta Supra 712s on my wife's '96 SHO, which is being replaced by the GTO, and I've got to say I've been a little disappointed by them. They aren't nearly as responsive as a set of Dunlop SP Sport 8000s that we had on the same car previously, although they're certainly better than the Goodyear RS-As that were stock. Everyone on the Tirerack site seems to love them though.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.