Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, I'm new to the forums but ive been reading them for a couple of weeks now. I will be in the market for a GTO next summer around this time. I figured I'd have around $28,000 to spend so that kind of rules out a new '06. So I was wondering if you thought it would be worth the money to buy an '04 for cheaper and get the engine bored and stroked to make it a 6.0 liter or would it be cheaper just to buy a used '05?? I know its hard to tell how much a used 05 will be in a year and how much a used 04 will be in a year but any kind of advice would be great.

·
Registered
56 Posts
PitoPocket said:
Hey, I'm new to the forums but ive been reading them for a couple of weeks now. I will be in the market for a GTO next summer around this time. I figured I'd have around $28,000 to spend so that kind of rules out a new '06. So I was wondering if you thought it would be worth the money to buy an '04 for cheaper and get the engine bored and stroked to make it a 6.0 liter or would it be cheaper just to buy a used '05?? I know its hard to tell how much a used 05 will be in a year and how much a used 04 will be in a year but any kind of advice would be great.
get the used 05

·
Registered
109 Posts
It really comes down to how important a warranty is and the difference in price. An used '04 will be very close to the end of it's warranty while an '05 will have a little more. A couple grand could get you the same power out of an '04 as well as brakes. The depreciation on the '04 is pretty high so you may be talking $16k vs $26k in a years time.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
well i mean id like to buy an '05 but when i buy the car im only going to be 20 and the insurance would be outrageous, especially since my parents old piece of crap car hydroplaned when i was driving it, not dangerously let me tell you, and hit the guard rail about 4 times seeing that i spun around 4 times going 65 mph on the thruway in heavy traffic so that was fun. But anyways it made my insurance go up as it is while im driving my moms sweet Volvo station wagon. Anybody know what kind of difference there would be on insurance for an '04 as compared to the insurance on an '05??

·
Super Moderator
8,433 Posts
PitoPocket said:
well i mean id like to buy an '05 but when i buy the car im only going to be 20 and the insurance would be outrageous, especially since my parents old piece of crap car hydroplaned when i was driving it, not dangerously let me tell you, and hit the guard rail about 4 times seeing that i spun around 4 times going 65 mph on the thruway in heavy traffic so that was fun. But anyways it made my insurance go up as it is while im driving my moms sweet Volvo station wagon. Anybody know what kind of difference there would be on insurance for an '04 as compared to the insurance on an '05??
For a 20yr old. From an 04' to an 05'? From 350HP to 400HP? It's gonna be outrageous no matter what year. A youngster on here just last week said he's payin over 3200 a year for an 05' on his mom's policy as a rider. So, If I were you, I'd grease up well before you bend over, cause they are gonna stick you real good. :eek:

·
Registered
565 Posts
Sounds like you have one of those insurance companies that LOVE to work against younger drivers. With the accident on your report, you may very well be looking at a mean rate :(

I'm 18 and haven't had any sort of accident or police offense, and have a few of those extra perks on my record that they reduce your rate for (graduating early being the main life-saver :D ), and I'm paying $188 a month.

·
Registered
44 Posts
PitoPocket said:
Anybody know what kind of difference there would be on insurance for an '04 as compared to the insurance on an '05??
it's a hard question to answer especially when people live in different states, so the rates can be 50 different things. Age, driving history, who's name will it be under are some of the things that can make it tough to determine. I don't know about your state, but in my state (MA) I can call and get a free quote from any insurance. That will give you the best idea what it will be.

·
Registered
937 Posts
drowssap said:
for what I know
5.7 to 6.0 350HP to 400HP a nice jump
Bigger breaks
The Hood scoops
Dual exaust tips in the back
ummm can't think of any more off the top of my head
Not only bigger brakes, but PBR brakes. American style duals and larger drive axles, drive by wire throttle for the LS2 and the instrument cluster was also updated to reflect the higher redline of the LS2 and they changed the look of it a smidge. There was also some change to something in the rear end to reduce some of the wheel hop issues the 04 has.

·
Registered
44 Posts
JMVorbeck said:
Not only bigger brakes, but PBR brakes. American style duals and larger drive axles, drive by wire throttle for the LS2 and the instrument cluster was also updated to reflect the higher redline of the LS2 and they changed the look of it a smidge. There was also some change to something in the rear end to reduce some of the wheel hop issues the 04 has.
there we go. Thanks...I knew I didn't get it all.

·
Super Moderator
8,433 Posts
Insurance companies like Geico are ok if you want baseline insurance. Just don't have an accident. They specialize in low rates but only offer the lowest coverage. You could have a serious accident and not have enough insurance to cover bodily, or personal injury. I had both my son's on progressive, progressive did offer better coverage's than did Geico but still it was absolute low coverage as compared to the bigger insurance companies. But then again the trade off was a significant amount in savings. Progressive did right by them, but they had no recordable incidents. Companies like Geico, and Progressive make insurance affordable for especially younger drivers, but you must be sure you have enough coverage incase of a calamity. A lot of Insurance companies have their rates that high people are forced to take a chance on lesser coverage. I feel for the younger drivers that have to deal with the insurance premiums. Companies like Geico, and Progressive make it possible for them to attain coverage. And with the limited tort coverage's, well if you are not careful and something really bad happens, you could be in for some serious cash flow problems.

·
Registered
9 Posts
RiceEater said:
Sounds like you have one of those insurance companies that LOVE to work against younger drivers. With the accident on your report, you may very well be looking at a mean rate :(

I'm 18 and haven't had any sort of accident or police offense, and have a few of those extra perks on my record that they reduce your rate for (graduating early being the main life-saver :D ), and I'm paying $188 a month.

I'm 19 myself and in the same boat. Insurance for my 04 runs me about 2k a year :( (no accidents, good grades, etc.). Being 19 and paying for your own car and insurance sucks, but having a goat is definitely worth me busting my arse. :D

·
Registered
3 Posts
I am paying about 88$ a month for my 2004 which is damn good for a sports car.
My insurance broker told me that his company (Allstate) does not rate the GTO as a sports car which is one of the reasons why I bought one. He quoted me 88$ for the 2004, and 104$ for the 2005 GTO; I am 28, clean driving record, with good credit which also contributed to the good rate.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Crow said:
I am paying about 88$ a month for my 2004 which is damn good for a sports car.
My insurance broker told me that his company (Allstate) does not rate the GTO as a sports car which is one of the reasons why I bought one. He quoted me 88$ for the 2004, and 104$ for the 2005 GTO; I am 28, clean driving record, with good credit which also contributed to the good rate.
Mine's $71 a month, but I am older than you. I have State Farm and have the max limits with $200 deductibles across the board.

·
Registered
565 Posts
For me I don't care too much about having a policy that covers physical injury in an accident... I already have a VERY good (and I'm very grateful for it) health care/life insurance policy. I just worry about getting my baby covered from end to end, which really helps a whole lot in lowering my price. I personally know that I seriously doubt I'll be getting into an accident anytime soon, but with the amount of bloody freakin retarded drivers here in Florida I'm always scared of being slammed up the rear by some Trailblazer or other SUV socker mom.... or just being T-boned by the likes.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.