Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have noticed that the trunk unlocks but it doesnt open? I have to press the button on the fob and pull up when I hear it unlock. I cannot open it from afar or if the car is on, unless i have someone in the car to press the glovebox button. Its not a huge deal but Im open to any ideas, my dad is pretty good with cars but I want to give him something to go off of.

·
Registered
2,632 Posts
That's how they work. All the glovebox button or fob button is release the latch. And the fob has a very low range. For instance, I can unlock my wife's HHR from at least 100 ft. away. The GTO? If it opens at 10 ft. I'm suprised.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok so u have to physically be there to pull it up out of the latch??

if thats the case I feel stupid lol... every trunk I have had actually opens up after the button and u can just lift.

·
Registered
2,632 Posts
That's basically it. Here's an excerpt from the owners manual:
Trunk Lock

To unlock the trunk, press and hold the button with the trunk symbol on the key. The vehicle must be moving at less that 12 mph (20 km/h) for the trunk to open. See remote keyless entry operation on page 2-5.

When the trunk is unlocked, it can be opened from the outside. After partially opening the trunk lid, it will automatically open the rest of the way on it’s own. The trunk locks automatically when closed, so be careful not to leave you key in the trunk.

Remote Trunk Release

This feature is used to unlock the trunk from inside the vehicle. Press the button inside the glovebox to unlock the trunk. The vehicle must not be moving over 12 mph (20 km/h) and the alarm system must be off. See Content Theft-Deterrent on page 2-14. For added security, the remote trunk release button will not operate when the doors are locked, the engine is off, and the key is removed from the ignition.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
just to clarify, cuz the other day the car was on, the doors were unlocked, and it wasnt moving. I pushed the button and i got out, and the trunk was still locked... normal right?? if so, thats kinda stupid, but a minor flaw.

·
Registered
2,632 Posts
Based on your description, the trunk should have been unlocked. I just tried that on mine. Mine, however, doesn't "automatically open the rest of the way on it’s own" after partially opening it like the manual says.

·
Registered
3,765 Posts
Soudns like something isn't working. You shouldn't have to pull the trunk open while you push the button.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I knew that couldnt be normal! lol cuz its so annoying! but I never really use the trunk so I dont really need it fixed right away... just something to think about.

·
Registered
3,765 Posts
It could be as simple as it not releasing fully and needing to be greased up.

·
Registered
2,632 Posts
Sorry, I didn't realize you were saying that you had to simultaneously press the button and lift the trunk in order to open it. That isn't proper operation. Does anyone's trunk lid swing open on it's own after you lift it off the latch?

·
Super Moderator
8,433 Posts
NO it doesn't. When using the release button in the glove box or using the key fob you hear a pop and the motor whining. You have to manually lift it up, my trunk does not self open if I open it part way and let go. These lids are very heavy.
If the adjustment knobs are not set proper, the lid may not function properly opening or closing. Too much down force pressure may hamper the release mechanism and it will not unlatch. Perhaps the alignment for some reason is slightly off or the latch is bent somehow just enough to cause this issue?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts