Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, my last couple threads no one responded...but thats ok. I was looking into a cam change, found a guy who can do it at a good price...still researching his work. However, i was wondering if i should wait untill the LS2 edit comes out? Would a cam change be worth it if i did not have a tune yet? This is my first late model sports car, its not my 65 Impala, and i hope some of you guys out there could help me out and let me know. Im not planning on going with a wild cam, but something a more than stock. Could i go with a GM cam? What other companies out have good products?

·
Registered
22 Posts
I am thinking exactly like you are. I figure a cam will wake it up, and that the LS6 heads are decent as is. Did you read the article in Hot Rod an issure or so ago? They took an LS2 crate motor and did some cam swaps. I have read it 5 times and still can't quite figure out what some of the dyno pulls included (as they also had some ported heads, 1.8 RR and LS6 instake.) But what I was able to gleam was that even the GM Z06 cam from '02 gave the LS2 engine a kick in the rear. I think they were making mid 400s with the cam. They did all there testing with a stock (LS1 I think) computer, no tune. They also confirmed that reducing back pressure generated postive results.

If you already read the article, I am sorry to add no new info. My plan is to wait until I hear that LS2 edit (or another) is out and reasonably stable, and then do a cam, tune, and headers. I really like the stock exhaust sound. Just not sure whether to keep the cats. No worries in FL about emissions, high flow cats are kinda pricey.

Has anyone done a cam swap yet on the LS2? I imagine we might find out more on the vette sights, but our cars are heavier. Engines might be the same, but the application is different, I think, ya think?

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
we are on the same wave length...i just had it dynoed today, with a newera intake, 3" exhaust...i ran 345hp to the wheels. Not as much as i thought, but not bad. i was told that the 3" exhaust (with X pipe) might be to much. my cam change is in the works, just choosing the best parts. along with the cam is a set of long tube headers. the dude working on my car said that with a decent cam, along with new springs and lifters, he can get me 400+ to the wheel. if i want more he can do a bigger cam. but i dont want to have too much. i have not read that article, and the LS2 edit is about a month off...yes i will be waiting for it to come out before i do the cam swap.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts