Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I live in VA and just had my GTO Dynoed today. It was 65F, about 13 Ft above sea leavle, low humidity, 700 Miles and just did my first oil change yesterday. The same Dyno shop ran another 05 3 weeks ago with roughly the same conditions and he put down 319rwhp. When mine was run today it put down 323rwhp and 320rwtq. I have read several different posts and they seem to be consistant with what I put down. I have also read on LS2.com and people have been posting 340's and up, they have between 1500 - 2000 miles on there cars. Im wondering what everyone else has been dynoing at?

Next question, has anyone put a CAI on an 05 yet and what kind of improvement have you seen?

Also, anyone else who had there 05 dynoed, when they checked the air/fuel's were you running rich? Mine was running fairly rich from stock.

I have someone making me a CAI and should have it on and # posted within the next week or 2.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok, I just had my GTO dynoed again at 1500 miles and it's up 5 hp and 5 tq. Im now at 328 rwhp and 331 rwtq. I have seen another 05 dynoed on the same dyno and at 3000 miles he was pushing less hp to the wheel that I did at 700 miles. Has anyone else done multiple dyno runs to see what kind of gains you get over time?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Had mine dynoed today with 5000 miles on it. 321/322 on a dynojet and sae corrected. It was put on the dyno just 5 minutes after driving to the shop, I'm thinking my numbers were low because the car was hot. I've seen another 05 dyno 315 hp and then sit for an hour and the same car dynoed 335hp. Was your car cool when it was dynoed?

·
Registered
136 Posts
my car was cool on the first run, like i said the second run was like a couple of minutes later...then the third was after about 10 mins...as far as i know, they are sae corrected numbers. the dyno was a dynojet. if i can find a scanner, i will scan my printout and post it.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Seriously concidering a GTO, I'm quite dissapointed. The LS1 F-bodies were rated at 325hp (talking SS/WS6) at the flywheel. They were dynoing at 300hp at the wheels.

If all they have is 320-340hp at the wheels, I may have to consider something different. Hell I can mod my 2001 Regal GS (sister to the GTP) and easily walk a GTO. I'm also considering the Mustang GT 500, this will have the 5.4L S/C just like the lightning/Ford GT and will have 450hp, and 450lbs of tq, as you know the 03-04 cobra's only had 390 hp, but with the factory S/C, it's easy to get 450-500 at the rear wheels.

Granted Ford sucks to all holy hell, and all I hear is great stuff about the GTO's build and quality, but if I'm wanting a sporty fast car, I'm not too sure if the GTO is for me.

Looks are still a little on the "tame" side.
I thought power would be a little more, but 400 - 15%, is what ya get.
It weighs a ton,
I like the fact it still has 2 doors
and it's nice and comfortible.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Clevite 77 said:
Seriously concidering a GTO, I'm quite dissapointed. The LS1 F-bodies were rated at 325hp (talking SS/WS6) at the flywheel. They were dynoing at 300hp at the wheels.

If all they have is 320-340hp at the wheels, I may have to consider something different. Hell I can mod my 2001 Regal GS (sister to the GTP) and easily walk a GTO. I'm also considering the Mustang GT 500, this will have the 5.4L S/C just like the lightning/Ford GT and will have 450hp, and 450lbs of tq, as you know the 03-04 cobra's only had 390 hp, but with the factory S/C, it's easy to get 450-500 at the rear wheels.

Granted Ford sucks to all holy hell, and all I hear is great stuff about the GTO's build and quality, but if I'm wanting a sporty fast car, I'm not too sure if the GTO is for me.

It weighs a ton,
What do you consider easily walking a GTO? I just ran a 13.40 @ 104 with 700 miles on the car on a 80 degree day which leads me to beleive that once the car is broke in and on a cooler day will possible run 13.00. This was a bone stock 2005 auto. Your going to have to do more than mod the hell out of your buick to easily walk a 05 GTO. I've seen fully modded 04 GTP's and I'm not just talking a pulley change run in the low 13's, so unless you have some magic trick up your sleave when it comes to the 3800 motors I don't see you walking anything?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Clevite 77 said:

It weighs a ton,

I also considered buying an 03/04 cobra last year and I actually like mustangs (I own a 65 convertible V8 4 speed). However, after driving the cobra and now owning an 05 GTO, the GTO feels more powerful. Some guys are running under 13 seconds stock from what I've read on these forums. The GTO doesn't weigh any more than a cobra and the build quality and interior is in a completely different league. I have owned a few performance cars in the past, including my most recent WRX which I modded up to about 300 hp. The GTO stock just feels more powerful and is shockingly fast over 100 mph. I guess what I'm saying is you should test drive the car before you make any decisions, you may be pleasantly surprised. ;)

·
Registered
56 Posts
newagegoat said:
What do you consider easily walking a GTO? I just ran a 13.40 @ 104 with 700 miles on the car on a 80 degree day which leads me to beleive that once the car is broke in and on a cooler day will possible run 13.00. This was a bone stock 2005 auto. Your going to have to do more than mod the hell out of your Buick to easily walk a 05 GTO. I've seen fully modded 04 GTP's and I'm not just talking a pulley change run in the low 13's, so unless you have some magic trick up your sleave when it comes to the 3800 motors I don't see you walking anything?
What I consider walking a GTO is, when a vehicle is faster, here are a few guys with Regal's and an Impala, all 3800 S/C motors. I didn't intend to start a flame war, I wanted reassurance that this 400hp is something to brag about. I thought the GTO was a waste with an LS1 (sorry guys just my opinion) nothing special about looks, decent power (stock) looking more for a SS/WS6/mustang sporty looks, 8" wheels (where as the SS/WS6 had 9" wheels). Then I find out about the LS2, I was geeked, but when a stock 2002 SS will hang with the GTO, this disappoints me, 1) it's got "400hp" 2) it's new, and yet the improvement is minimal if any in the power category.

Anyways, I'm still considering the GTO VERY much, as long as the deal is right, I was just hoping for higher numbers.

Oh and here are some websites to check out,
http://www.geocities.com/raflyer/car.html (this guy is now in the 11's)
http://www.cardomain.com/id/jasonsgs (look to the left for 1/4 mile times)
http://www.cardomain.com/id/bigdaddygs

here are just a hand full of people who are into the 11-12's with bolt-ons, back yard sh!t, be carful what 3800 you bump into, most are nothing, Mine is stock, but the potential with a factory forced induction car is plentiful.

Again, I'm not here to start a war, I've been lurking for some time.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Don't kid yourself Klevette, you're not going to buy the new GTO, why would you when you have a Classy/Elegant front wheel drive car like the Buick!!

you should think about turboing a civic!!!maybe a 92 or 93 :D

·
Registered
590 Posts
My 02 SS Camaro only mods at dyno time were K&N filter & Clear MTI Lid

316.7 rwhp divide by .88 = 360 at the fly 80.1 degrees

MTI's dynojet Model 248C

Had to pull out my file for those. Too many dead brain cells :D

·
Super Moderator
2,639 Posts
Clevite 77 said:

LS1 F-bodies at 325 at the flywheel and 300 at the wheels :confused . That's less than 8% loss through the drivetrain. Hard to believe.

I've mostly seen 15-17% loss for manuals and 20-22% loss for autos so the dyno results of 332-340 for manual and 312-320 is pretty close. I might be wrong but that's what I've seen.

·
Registered
32 Posts
The F-bodies were under rated. I don't think there is a difference between the LS1 in a '01 or '02 F-body and the '04 GTO. The intake and heads are the same and the cam doesn't sound any more aggressive. Obviously the exhaust is different, but not much. Plus the F-bodies were solid rear axle which is more efficient.

I have an '02 Firehawk with similar miles to my GTO and both are 6 speeds. Based on feel, the Firehawk is faster. I'm not complaining though. The GTO as equipped from the factory is going to do really well with some aftermarket bolt-ons.

Does the width of the wheels really matter? What are the new Mustangs dynoing at?

·
Registered
3,445 Posts
My 2002 Z28 with a lid and a Corsa cat-back dyno'ed at 335. Stock was 318. At the flywheel it was rated at 310. I guess I had a powertrain gain or GM underated these cars.
As far as the W body goes, I've seen some with suspension mods, pulley, ETC... and slicks get into the 12's, but they are not very streetable. Mostly with liveable power adders your going to be high 13's with traction issues. My GTO ran 12.86 at 109 mph bone stock. I also beat a Cobra that was also bone stock by a tenth. No drag radials, no mods. I'm thinking once I put my mind to it low twelves are going to be a liveable daily driver goal.
Your Website W-body cars that you talk about, well I can come up with some 9 second and low 10 second GTO's if you want. Everyone here knows that is more than 98.5% of us will do.
The Mustang Shebly 500 is going to be low to mid 40's, plus dealer markup. I bet most of those sell for 50k. Even at 45k I can put a Supercharger on mine and have some change to add traction. Bang for the buck I'll beat you. Now next year when they put rebates on the base Stang GT, and you can get one for close to invoice, that'll be your bang for the buck car. But, it'll still not have the class of the GTO, or in my opinion your W-body.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
All I know is that if the LS2 reacts anything like the LS1 it may very well be possible to get 400 to the wheel with just Intake, tune and exhaust. Even if it falls short of 400 it will still be damn close. The 05 had so many kinks and bends in the exhaust I would not be supprised if you can pick up 30HP on just a cat back. Im sitting at about 330, LT's and high flow cats add 20 hp, cat back add 20 - 30 hp, I have seen the right intake and tune ad 35 -40 hp. Do the math and that put's me damn close to 400 at the wheels.

This whole game all depends on what type of racing you want to do, im not big on drag anymore, I want to get on a road course and put a few M3's to shame. There is no question that the GTO can kill a Mustang when it comes to long fast runs, the GTO has a Drag coefficient of .31cd which is the same as a C5 vette, Damn good aerodynamics the A4 has a top speed of 158 mph and the M6 has a top of 180 mph. The Mustang has the Drag coefficient of a brick and is aerodynamicaly limited to the 140's. The GTO was never built to compete against the Mustang but was built to run the M3, the Muuuuustang was never evena consideration.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Thanks Bramans'sGTO, I appreciate your input,
I guess since we're way off topic (sorry guys) how does he GTO do on long trips? I would also be using this as a daily driver, and I work 34 miles away 28 of which is freeway

Braman'sGTO said:
This whole game all depends on what type of racing you want to do,
Maybe a little track racing, might be where, the idiot next to me lane cuts off and he's tying to get over, I want something that will be a little quicker. I like to go down an empty road and get up to 50-80 type of thing.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts