Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I bought an 05 GTO from an auction and it has no motor. I have been searching for a reasonably priced 6.0 but used they are anyware from $7,000-$10,000 because all of the salvage yards will only sell them as a swap out meaning you get the engine, tranny, ecm, wiring harness, etc... the new engine is $5,800 wich is probably a good price for what you get but I dont have that much money to spend so my question is, can you install the 5.7 from an 04 without too much diffaculty? I am a good auto tech and have good mechanical skills but I am unfamiliar with the differences in these two engines. I can buy the 5.7 for $3,000 and get the complete engine, computer, and wiring harness. I have read some info about the LS-2 having some differences such as the knock sensors being relocated, the cam sensor moved from the back to the front of the engine and the reluctor on the crank having 58 teeth instead of the LS-1's 24 teeth although from what I've read the 58 tooth engines began in 06 not 05 but how can I know for sure? I know this is an odd situation and would appreciate any solid technical info I get. Thank You!

·
Registered
95 Posts
If you get the wiring harness, that should knock a lot of your problems out right away. I dunno too much more than that though.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts