Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Question for anyone that has experiance with cam install on '05 Ls2 GTO. I have heard it is very easy compared to my LT1 camaro. Is it true that the intake does not need to be removed, just rockers and pushrods, rotate the cam and lifters stay up?? Front cover comes off without disturbing the oil pan? With the radiator and A/C condenser out of the way will the cam have clearance to be removed? I was reading the factory service manual regarding cam removeal and it says step #1 remove engine!! ...whats with that? That can't be correct. Any first hand experiance and advise will be appreciated. The factory manual also has steps to remove the heads, this also does not agree with what I have heard.
It appears that the stock cam is tiny, [email protected] int. I am looking for something very streetable, no cam surge with an increase in rear wheel hp around 40hp with cam and PCM tune. I would like to keep every thing else stock. Any suggestions, personal experiance or actual dyno results? Think something around 212 [email protected] would do it? I assume wide lobe separation 117-118 deg would help maintain driveability and low rpm manners? Any input will be appreciated, :cheers
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
700 Posts
The specs on the LS2 cam:
226/226 .585 116 LSA

How that compares to the 2001 ZO6, I don't know. I suspect that you'd want to go with something a bit wilder than 117 LSA if you intend on making any real power.
If you're only wanting 40 horsepower, a FIPK, Shorty Headers and a tune would surpass that easily.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,541 Posts
..... I can swap cams in a GTO in around 3.5-4 hours in my garage at home...... I've done it five times now. You don't have to drop the pan, you have to remove the intake tube, water pump, balancer, electric fan assembly, front cover, camshaft timing gear, timing chain, camshaft plate, valve covers, rockers, and pull the pushrods (make sure you put them back where they came, keep them in order!), spin the cam 3-4 times counterclockwise and VERY gently remove the cam. I wish you were local I'd do it for free....... btw, I've got a cam that would get you over 400rwhp, you'll need some supporting mods (headers, catback, underdrive, tune) but it's definetly worth it! BTW, stock 05 cam is bigger than the 02 ZO6....... :cheers
 
G

·
SPECIFICATIONS ARE AS FACTORY INSTALLED IN THE C6
90-degree pushrod V8, OHV, Aluminum Heads, Hydraulic Lifters
Bore and stroke 4.00 x 3.62 in.
Displacement 364 cu. in. (5.967 liters)
Compression 10.9:1
Induction System Sequential fuel injection
Gross Horsepower (SAE net) 400 @ 6000 rpm
Gross Torque (SAE net) 400 lb.-ft. @ 4400 rpm
Block All-new 319-T5 Aluminum
Recommended fuel Premium Unleaded
Valves per cylinder Two, 2.00" Intake and 1.55" Exhaust
Redline 6,500 rpm
Camshaft 12565308 385 HP 2001 Corvette LS-6 Engine
(CAM DIRECTLY FROM SALLEY-CHEVORLET.COM LS2 PAGE
 
G

·
Camshaft for LS2

Camshaft End Play
0.025-0.305 mm
0.001-0.012 in

Camshaft Journal Diameter
54.99-55.04 mm
2.164-2.166 in

Camshaft Journal Out-of-Round
0.025 mm
0.001 in

Camshaft Lobe Lift - Intake
7.78 mm
0.306 in

Camshaft Lobe Lift - Exhaust
7.77 mm
0.305 in

Camshaft Runout - Measured at the Intermediate Journals
0.05 mm
0.002 in
 
G

·
Taken from http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-199946.html

LS2 heads are the same as those on an '01 (375hp) LS6. Note that they use the shorter, solid-stem valves rather than '02-'04 (405hp) LS6's exotic, longer, hollow-stem intake valve and sodium-potassium("NaK")-filled, hollow-stem exhaust valve. Because the LS2 camshaft is less aggressive, lighter valves are unnecessary to keep the valve train stable all the way to LS2's 6600-rpm rev limiter. The rest of the LS2 valve gear is also the same as '01 LS6.
The cam in the LS2 is similar to the '01 LS6 cam. It uses the same profile but the part number is new because the cam position sensor target was moved from the cam to the camshaft sprocket. Valve lift is .525-in. and duration at .050-in lift is 204o int/211o exh.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
700 Posts
Big_Mike, how are we supposed to concentrate on cam selection whenever you keep taunting us with those icons!!
I'm not even a big cat fan (especially when I woke up to cat paw prints on my hood on Tuesday), but I'd be allllll over that one. ;)
 
G

·
Purrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

I think bodypaint icons are the only way I can get away with posting a topless chic on here and nobody complaining. :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
700 Posts
I won't complain either way, but then I fly my freak flag for the world to see. hehe.
Always gotta have that one bad apple who doesn't see the beauty and artistic expression of a naked woman though. ;)
 
G

·
hopefully dealernut sees this, I sent him a link that showed bodypainting sites from all over the world! Didnt have brazil though, and we all know the hottest women on the planet are from there.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks to all for the excellant feedback and information! Can anyone explain what keeps the lifters up to allow cam removal? Then after the cam is rotated and removed will the lifters be high enough to clear a cam with taller lobes when the bigger cam goes in? Thanks again guys! :cheers
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
GTODEALER said:
..... I can swap cams in a GTO in around 3.5-4 hours in my garage at home...... I've done it five times now. You don't have to drop the pan, you have to remove the intake tube, water pump, balancer, electric fan assembly, front cover, camshaft timing gear, timing chain, camshaft plate, valve covers, rockers, and pull the pushrods (make sure you put them back where they came, keep them in order!), spin the cam 3-4 times counterclockwise and VERY gently remove the cam. I wish you were local I'd do it for free....... btw, I've got a cam that would get you over 400rwhp, you'll need some supporting mods (headers, catback, underdrive, tune) but it's definetly worth it! BTW, stock 05 cam is bigger than the 02 ZO6....... :cheers
GTODEALER...I'm on my way to Texas!...just kidding, but can you give me some information, from your experiance, on what cam you suggest would provide the best performance compromise without hurting the driveability. I need to avoid the low rpm cam surge. Can you provide cam specs? Is it true wide lobe separation (117-118deg) will help the driveability? :cheers
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
big_mike said:
Taken from http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-199946.html

LS2 heads are the same as those on an '01 (375hp) LS6. Note that they use the shorter, solid-stem valves rather than '02-'04 (405hp) LS6's exotic, longer, hollow-stem intake valve and sodium-potassium("NaK")-filled, hollow-stem exhaust valve. Because the LS2 camshaft is less aggressive, lighter valves are unnecessary to keep the valve train stable all the way to LS2's 6600-rpm rev limiter. The rest of the LS2 valve gear is also the same as '01 LS6.
The cam in the LS2 is similar to the '01 LS6 cam. It uses the same profile but the part number is new because the cam position sensor target was moved from the cam to the camshaft sprocket. Valve lift is .525-in. and duration at .050-in lift is 204o int/211o exh.
Thanks Big Mike.... for the good info. and all the "live entertainment" on this site! I am a dog man but there is something about cat eyes that I am starting to take a liking to!! :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,541 Posts
cat1055man said:
Thanks to all for the excellant feedback and information! Can anyone explain what keeps the lifters up to allow cam removal? Then after the cam is rotated and removed will the lifters be high enough to clear a cam with taller lobes when the bigger cam goes in? Thanks again guys! :cheers
There are plastic "retainers" that hold them in place and yes, the bigger cam will go in... I went from a stock cam to a .603/.609 lift cam and didn't have an issue.
 
1 - 20 of 46 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top