Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I started having a small power steering leak on the rack side of the lines. I bought the car not too long ago so I've been reading up on common issues like this. Initially, I thought the leak was coming from these smaller lines (green).

Shoe Automotive tire Wood Headgear Hat
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Vehicle brake Bicycle part Automotive wheel system

I even bought some o-rings hoping that was the fix. Then I looked at the larger lines (red) which were on the topside of the steering rack from my angle and much harder to see. It looks like the leak is actually coming from the one large line with a 19mm nut.

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Wood Saw Automotive wheel system
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Plant Alloy wheel Tire

The o-rings don't look like they would fit this one. Anyone had the leak from this line before? I'm hoping the rack isn't doneski :rolleyes::rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
865 Posts
The nuts are different sizes, but the lines and o-rings are the same, for both.

Larry

·
Premium Member
865 Posts
Here is a more detailed post:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Awesome great news, thank you. That's the post I was looking at too, and referenced for the o-ring part number. I'm gonna give it a shot this weekend. I bought 4 o-rings just in case. Honestly wouldn't mind replacing the lines at some point down the road.. maybe if/when I get headers. The amount of rust everywhere was an unwelcomed surprise after I bought the car :oops::cautious:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Installed the o-rings over the weekend. I ended up replacing the pump side first, just so I knew what I was looking at underneath. The lower line bolted to a front cross member (2) which I had to take those out to give the line enough to play to pull out of the rack. I was able to use a crescent wrench 1/5 turn at a time 😑. I thought I could avoid letting the PS fluid drain out, but there wasn't really a way around it. I used less than a quart of Mobil 1 ATF to fill it back up. All in all I was surprised at how easy the job was. Tbh I was expecting the old o-ring to be torn or show some sign of failure. I only took the car for a quick cruise but no leaks yet 🤞. Here's a few pics hopefully someone can find helpful ;)
Wood Automotive tire Plumbing Gas Suspension
Automotive tire Light Blue Bicycle part Line

Wood Font Circle Recipe Flooring

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive exhaust Automotive exterior Gas
Automotive tire Fluid Gas Nail Liquid

1 - 5 of 5 Posts