Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 05 gto yesterday running perfect. This morning on my way to work it began running erratically kind of pulsing and then went in to safe mode. I pulled over and put it in neutral and the engine was running from about 700 up to about 1200 rpms on its own so i shut the car down. Now when i try to start it it doesn't even turn over. My first thought was maybe a fuel pump but i dont know why that would cause it not to even be able to engage the starter. I'm not familiar with computerized engines and any help would be very appreciated. Thank you

-Zach

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have all my lights and yes the car is in park when trying to start. It's like the computer is holding the starter from engaging

·
Registered
3,765 Posts
I have all my lights and yes the car is in park when trying to start. It's like the computer is holding the starter from engaging
Just because you have lights doesn't mean the battery is good. There could be a deal cell or even the terminals could be dirty.

Also I would check you plugs too.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks but i'm certain it isn't the battery, it's a pretty new battery and the terminals are clean, reading 12.4 volts. I bought it private party

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ive got an update, went and looked under the fuse box and found the engine sensor fuse blown. I replaced it and it started up and ran great... For about a minute then it did the same thing. I popped the cover and sure enough the fuse was blown again. Any idea's on what's causing it?

·
Registered
944 Posts
It happened while driving, so there's a short somewhere. Because it surged it could be MAF or O2 sensors. Many have also had a bad throttle position sensor cause the same behavior, but the fuse didn't blow.

Does the car have an aftermarket intake, headers, or anything else done? Headers could burn through the O2 sensors and too many people have installed intakes incorrectly.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hmm, well it doesn't have anything aftermarket aside from a k&n intake and a flowmaster cat-back exhaust. Should I just unplug each O2 sensor one at a time and see if that keeps the fuse from blowing to find out which one if any it is?

·
Registered
944 Posts
I know of one K&N install where the person jacked up the connection for the MAF Sensor by having the wire resting on the belt. I don't know how they had enough slack, but they managed :)

I'd start there before under the car.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts