Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hope this thread doesn't make you roll your eyes. Just lookin' for info for some mods that I'll probably do in a year or so.

Got a friend with a big mouth and a Kenne Bell 4.6 GT It's a 2002 Automatic Mustang GT:
4.10 gears
Off-road X-Pipe
Borla Stinger Cat-Back
42lb Injectors
75mm TB
90mm MAF
Kenne Bell 9 lb intercooled kit
10 lb pulley...making 11 lbs boost

Any way of hanging with him, with some mods?
I'd like to stay away from forced induction and the nitrous approach. He's claiming around 440 whp. Can I get there or better by sticking with the naturally aspirated approach?

Thanks

·
Registered
214 Posts
As the current owner of an 05 GTO and a heavily modded 02 Mustang GT (11.01 @ 120 mph), I have experience with both cars. When my GT was stock it could run 13.8 @ 100 mph (5 speed). With his mods and considering the auto trans, he is probably capable of low to mid 12's, depending on driver ability. Unless he has more mods that he is hiding, there is no way he is making 440 rwhp @ 10 lbs of boost with the KB supercharger. More like 375-395. My best so far in the GTO is 13.3, so assumming you can do the same, there is no way you can hang with him without some serious mods.

B

·
0 Posts
Hmmm, he has a 9lb kit, with a 10lb pulley, but making 11 lbs boost? Odd.

Anyway, with a set of heads, cam and gears, on a drag radial, SURE you can beat him. But are you willing to drop 10k in mods just to beat this cat?

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
QwkRed05GTO said:
As the current owner of an 05 GTO and a heavily modded 02 Mustang GT (11.01 @ 120 mph), I have experience with both cars. When my GT was stock it could run 13.8 @ 100 mph (5 speed). With his mods and considering the auto trans, he is probably capable of low to mid 12's, depending on driver ability. Unless he has more mods that he is hiding, there is no way he is making 440 rwhp @ 10 lbs of boost with the KB supercharger. More like 375-395. My best so far in the GTO is 13.3, so assumming you can do the same, there is no way you can hang with him without some serious mods.
I'm just taking him at his word about his mods and his HP claims. He says that KB owners commonly see 400whp dyno runs after they've installed just the 9 lb IC kit, w/ all of the KB inlet components. Maybe I'll just keep the mods to the basic bolt-ons like Cat-Back, CAI, hand-held tuner, etc...

B

·
0 Posts
Good decision. there will always be somebody faster and no point in taking out 9 second trusts on your house just to beat a few here and there.

Have fun !!! (preferably without going broke)

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
big_mike said:
Hmmm, he has a 9lb kit, with a 10lb pulley, but making 11 lbs boost? Odd.

Anyway, with a set of heads, cam and gears, on a drag radial, SURE you can beat him. But are you willing to drop 10k in mods just to beat this cat?
No, 10k will probably be way too rich for my blood. Sounds like it'd be cheaper to go supercharged, but I've seen a few posters that didn't recommend forced-induction for these motors. I'll just keep it simple and not worry about his Mustang. I'm sure I'll still have top-speed bragging rights with his 4.10 gearing.

As for his boost and pulleys, all I know is that I was in his car when his AutoMeter gauge indicated a solid 11 lbs boost. Felt strong, just don't see how he stands the off-road/Stinger combo as a daily driver.

·
Super Moderator
5,146 Posts
LSx engines run too high of a CR to do forced induction, Sean with MDMC can get 550 hp with these mods; CNC ported cylinder heads, Custom cam and push rods, 1 7/8 ceramic coated long tube headers, 2.5 inch high flow exhaust, Custom computer tuning and Custom 4 inch air intake system. You can bump that up to 650 with a Custom D1 Procharger and a 3 Core custom intercooler.

Seems like he told me around $6k for the 550 package, don't quote me on that.

http://www.moderndaymusclecars.com/gto.html

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
05GTO said:
LSx engines run too high of a CR to do forced induction, Sean with MDMC can get 550 hp with these mods; CNC ported cylinder heads, Custom cam and push rods, 1 7/8 ceramic coated long tube headers, 2.5 inch high flow exhaust, Custom computer tuning and Custom 4 inch air intake system. You can bump that up to 650 with a Custom D1 Procharger and a 3 Core custom intercooler.

Seems like he told me around $6k for the 550 package, don't quote me on that.

http://www.moderndaymusclecars.com/gto.html

Thanks for the link.

The 475hp package looks about like the right options for me.

118 Posts
ModBoss2 said:
Hope this thread doesn't make you roll your eyes. Just lookin' for info for some mods that I'll probably do in a year or so.

Got a friend with a big mouth and a Kenne Bell 4.6 GT It's a 2002 Automatic Mustang GT:
4.10 gears
Off-road X-Pipe
Borla Stinger Cat-Back
42lb Injectors
75mm TB
90mm MAF
Kenne Bell 9 lb intercooled kit
10 lb pulley...making 11 lbs boost

Any way of hanging with him, with some mods?
I'd like to stay away from forced induction and the nitrous approach. He's claiming around 440 whp. Can I get there or better by sticking with the naturally aspirated approach?

Thanks

Have a guy in town with the same setup but with 3.73s and he put down 422 rwhp. 440 is a stretch, especially with an auto slushbox. Autos always dyno less and even more so with a stall. That stock 2V bottom end is already stressed with it's weak 2 bolt mains unless he installed a girdle. I think the B.S flag needs to be pulled . . .

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Doc GTO said:
Have a guy in town with the same setup but with 3.73s and he put down 422 rwhp. 440 is a stretch, especially with an auto slushbox. Autos always dyno less and even more so with a stall. That stock 2V bottom end is already stressed with it's weak 2 bolt mains unless he installed a girdle. I think the B.S flag needs to be pulled . . .
Unless his AutoMeter gauge was faulty, I did witness the 11lb boost...the HP claims, I never saw the proof of that, but even I know that a KB tuned 9lb complete kit is supposed to be good for 400hp, but the KB tune is pig-rich and he's got a custom tune and is not at 9lbs anymore.

[edit] Just noticed your screen name. Doc GTO...I know I've heard that name before. I think my friend must have talked about/to a Doc GTO that posts at a Mustang forum. Unless there's two Doc GTOs

B

·
0 Posts
make ME smile? not many older women make me smile.....Kinda dig chics in their 20's and 30's.....not 40's! lol

118 Posts
ModBoss2 said:
Unless his AutoMeter gauge was faulty, I did witness the 11lb boost...the HP claims, I never saw the proof of that, but even I know that a KB tuned 9lb complete kit is supposed to be good for 400hp, but the KB tune is pig-rich and he's got a custom tune and is not at 9lbs anymore.

[edit] Just noticed your screen name. Doc GTO...I know I've heard that name before. I think my friend must have talked about/to a Doc GTO that posts at a Mustang forum. Unless there's two Doc GTOs

That's me! I moderate on stangnet and post a lot on svtperformance. I'm sure your friend is putting down some real god power but 440 to the ground is really up there. If he got it dynotuned then he should have a dyno sheet! I do . . . Anyone putting down good power will frame that baby! He may be putting that down but I'd say it's a stretch with the factory auto. I would say bring it to the track and run it. With that power he should be in the high 11s-low 12s with traction.

For you to take him I would say put on a CAI, shorties and front pipes or LTs, install a 100 dry shot and then get it dynotuned for it. You should be making about 450-460 no problem. That would not cost a lot of $$$ and you would be high 11s for sure!

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Doc GTO said:
That's me! I moderate on stangnet and post a lot on svtperformance. I'm sure your friend is putting down some real god power but 440 to the ground is really up there. If he got it dynotuned then he should have a dyno sheet! I do . . . Anyone putting down good power will frame that baby! He may be putting that down but I'd say it's a stretch with the factory auto. I would say bring it to the track and run it. With that power he should be in the high 11s-low 12s with traction.

For you to take him I would say put on a CAI, shorties and front pipes or LTs, install a 100 dry shot and then get it dynotuned for it. You should be making about 450-460 no problem. That would not cost a lot of $$$ and you would be high 11s for sure!
I'll add a dynotune and LTs to the options that I already have...later, I'll either go with a NA'd Lingenfelter package, maybe the 403 package...might even go with the 455 package that Big_Mike was talking about a few days ago. But that's after I get the car paid for, and only if I'm tired of having the 6.0 and how it's optioned.

If I do that, I'll still get beat by the Mustang GT, I fear. :(

He's already talking about MPH and letting them do a TT set-up. He's got the advantage because his car has been paid for a year or so already. Oh well...

1 - 20 of 44 Posts