Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not exacty a kill story but I own both cars. The GTO is in the shop getting some new rotors/brakes and spoiler delete. I just had the the 335i chipped and short shifter installed. Both are very fast but the guys on the Bimmer boards swear that it will destroy the GTO. I can't tell which is faster.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Chip or no chip BS. I ate one alive. It's going to need more than a microsoft product. Line um up!

·
Registered
3,445 Posts
I'd say it would be a pretty good race with the advantage to the GTO. I'm partial to GTO's though so take that for what it's worth. My guess is the guys on the Bimmer boards are partial to the 335i.

As was said line em up.

·
Registered
289 Posts
It depends on what software you're running. If you have a Vishnu V2, the Goat is done for. Anything less, and the GTO has a very good chance.....

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
I don't street race. at least not in the past 20 years or so, but I am getting tired of being challanged by everyone and their brother everytime I take my Goat for a ride that a street race may happen very soon.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Chip or no chip BS. I ate one alive. It's going to need more than a microsoft product. Line um up!
Funny!

Tuning a turbo car is like swapping a pulley on an SC car.

From what I've gathered, a 91 Octane Vishnu car will trap about 109mp - a driver's race against a stock GTO.

Beyond that, 93 Octane tune, higher boost, the stock turbos are really stressed but 113mph traps are supposedly obtainable.

OP: Might want to consider a Dinan (or other) oil cooler. They run notoriously hot, around 225 degrees just cruising and go into limp mode at 300 degrees....

Are you on Bimmerforums?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I drove both cars over the weekend and the 335 is faster. It pulls harder in everygear. I will resist the temptation to add power to the GTO right now in favor of fixing the suspension first.

·
Registered
3,445 Posts
I drove both cars over the weekend and the 335 is faster. It pulls harder in everygear. I will resist the temptation to add power to the GTO right now in favor of fixing the suspension first.
I'm not quite sure what this tells us. I mean to me the Mustang GT feels faster than the GTO. Some of the guys on the Mustang forums say the same thing. In reality the GTO cleans the Mustang GT's clock. So I don't know that someones impression answers the question if a modded $50,000+ BMW beats a stock GTO.

What we need is someone near bimmergoat to run his BMW with their GTO. There still will be the question of driver skills, but at least we will have a true comparison.

I guess what it boils down to though, as bimmerguy pointed out, for the price difference he will have plenty of money to do a pedders and then still have plenty of money to mod the GTO so that it out handles and out runs the 335 for less money. Kinda makes me wonder why you bought the 335 in the first place.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Yeah, the butt-dyno method is never very accurate. To me, the new GT's feel gutless. As do the 5.7 Hemi cars. The LS2 GTO's feel pretty damn stout IMO.

Idk, some cars just feel quicker than they are. My Z felt considerably quicker than it was. My Audi does, too....

·
Registered
48 Posts
Yeah, the butt-dyno method is never very accurate. To me, the new GT's feel gutless. As do the 5.7 Hemi cars. The LS2 GTO's feel pretty damn stout IMO.

Idk, some cars just feel quicker than they are. My Z felt considerably quicker than it was. My Audi does, too....
:agree I noticed that cars with a quick throtle response felt quicker even though they were comparably slower.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well since I can't rely on the Butt Dyno here are some 335i time slips with a similar piggyback mod as mine for under 400 bucks!! Folks, these cars are not slow by any means.

JUICE BOX 335i PERFORMANCE TUNER

12.633 @ 111.22mph with stock tires
[email protected] 112.40 mph with Drag Radials.

12.261 @ 112.40mph with stock downpipes/exhaust/intake - BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum - E90Post.com

Downpipes, & exhaust will take this car in the 11's for about 2500 bucks. :D That's not bad at all.

FergyFlyer: I bought the car because it is a great car for a lot less than the 75k 2008 M3, so I guess it is bargin if you look at it that way. :)

·
Registered
3,445 Posts
Well since I can't rely on the Butt Dyno here are some 335i time slips with a similar piggyback mod as mine for under 400 bucks!! Folks, these cars are not slow by any means.

JUICE BOX 335i PERFORMANCE TUNER

12.633 @ 111.22mph with stock tires
[email protected] 112.40 mph with Drag Radials.

12.261 @ 112.40mph with stock downpipes/exhaust/intake - BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum - E90Post.com

Downpipes, & exhaust will take this car in the 11's for about 2500 bucks. :D That's not bad at all.

FergyFlyer: I bought the car because it is a great car for a lot less than the 75k 2008 M3, so I guess it is bargin if you look at it that way. :)
I could argue that the GTO is a much better value than the 335i, but that's missing your point. What I was wondering was why you had the 335i and the GTO. They are both so similar in concept, both being high performance 4seat GT coupes and all. I tend to have several vehicles at the same time but they are always way different vehicles. A pick-up and a GTO or Vette, or a Cavalier and a Vette, or a Mustang 5.0 Vert and a Contour SVT.

Also I just priced the 335i coupe up on KBB and I'm impressed. I could get one the way I wanted for about 47,000. I thought they were a low to mid 50's car. That's a great alternative if you want Vette like performance and need 4 seats.

The 135i doesn't make sense to me though. It's only slightly lighter than the 335. It's back seat is very small. Optioned like I'd want it, it's only 2,000 cheaper than the 335. Guess if your ok with vinyl seats and don't need a decent audio system, and can keep the other options off, the low to mid 30's for it is a good value too.

Thanks for sharing the info on the BMW 335i.

·
Registered
377 Posts
^ W/ the Vishnu V2 chip, they're trapping like 115-116
I thought 114mph was the highest on race gas, turbos boosted to max capacity and slicks/DRs.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Guys, there is a price point to every car purchase. I personally see GM cars as a bargain today against the pricey imports. At this point in time GM is making more valuable cars in my opnion from the pontiac cars to the Vette Please npte that I did not say better cars I said more valuable cars.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts