Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While parked in the garage I noticed a whistling sound/high pitch type sound coming from under the hood. . Its pretty noticeable. My mom and dad both mentioned it to me. Is this whistling noise normal?
Thanks guys.

·
Registered
115 Posts
My Chevy Tahoe made high pitched noise from under the hood and it ended up being a bad intake gasket. Sounds like you might have a similar problem.
Hope this helps,

Chris

·
Registered
304 Posts
Could it possibly be the alternator? I know they can whistle when they start to go. But that usually isn't too high pitched but worth checking it out.

·
Registered
16 Posts
BLACK05GTO said:
While parked in the garage I noticed a whistling sound/high pitch type sound coming from under the hood. . Its pretty noticeable. My mom and dad both mentioned it to me. Is this whistling noise normal?
Thanks guys.
Is it a whining noise? If it is, my power steering pump whines a little, alomost sounds like a supercharger. Double checked it with a stethiscope.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Goat666 said:
Is it a whining noise? If it is, my power steering pump whines a little, alomost sounds like a supercharger. Double checked it with a stethiscope.
Yes, this is kind of what it sounds like. It is a whistle/whine sound. It is constant. Its not loud but it can definately be heard when the surroundings are quiet.
I actually didn't notice it until someone mentioned the sound to me. So I got out of the car to listen to it. It sounds like the very beginning of a tea whistle.

·
Registered
28 Posts
05 gto whistle

I have an 05 as well, and i dont have any noises under my hood. Check to make sure if ur airbox is sealed right. Sounds to me like there is some kind of vacume leak . Nothing serious. I wouldnt worry too much, if u cant find anything, bring that bad boy in for a service..thats the great thing about a new car.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I 'm pretty sure its air being sucked into the intake or airbox. Thats what it sounds like to me. Another 05 GTO owner mentioned to me his car does it too. It makes the same sound as if you were sucking in air really fast into your mouth to cause a slight whistle.

·
Registered
9 Posts
This was a problem on some vettes with the LS1. My 01 had a high pitch whistle around 2000 rpm. They replaced the intake.

WHISTLE NOISE FROM INTAKE MANIFOLD/THROTTLE BODY

This is a technical service bulletin for repair of this problem, it is not a recall. It covers 2001 Corvettes LS1, LS6 engines. TSB # 02-06-01-021
Some owners may comment on a whistle noise coming from either the intake manifold or the throttle body. The noise is most noticeable between 1100 and 2000 RPM.
This bulletin calls for replacing the intake manifold.

·
Registered
22 Posts
it sounds like intake leak to me also i just order 2 intake for 5.3 trucks yesterday
they made the noise you descriped. make sure you dealer does a spak case on
it dont wait gm will pay next day air it,s part of the warranty!

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
ZimGTO said:
This was a problem on some vettes with the LS1. My 01 had a high pitch whistle around 2000 rpm. They replaced the intake.

This is a technical service bulletin for repair of this problem, it is not a recall. It covers 2001 Corvettes LS1, LS6 engines. TSB # 02-06-01-021
Some owners may comment on a whistle noise coming from either the intake manifold or the throttle body. The noise is most noticeable between 1100 and 2000 RPM.
This bulletin calls for replacing the intake manifold.

Do you know if this is bad for the car or is costing me power? I guess I'll have to put the car in the shop. The whistle seems to be getting louder.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
ZimGTO said:
They changed the one out in my vette and it STILL whistles.... as far as I have heard/learned it is only an issue with the annoying sound & does not hurt, harm or affect performance.
Through this process I'm finding out it's pretty common. I've already talked to several GTO owners with the same noise. So I may just except the fact that my engine has a slight whistle at 2000 rpms.
I was able to run 104 mph in the 1/4 mile lifting off the gas in 1st gear. So the car is definately making good power. With a decent launch ( without severe wheel hop) I should pull 107+ mph in the 1/4 mile.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Whistling

I wouldn't worry about the whistling at all. It's the alternator. It varies it's rotating speed depending on the drain on the system, which is actually a good idea. If you want to completely get rid of the sound, and well, prove that it's your alternator, make sure your radio is off so you can hear the whistling. Now, listen to the current sound. You'll probably hear a light whistling, assuming that your headlamp switch is rotated all the way counterclockwise. Now, turn it clockwise to auto, or to full if you are outside in the sun. You should hear the whining/whistling sound increase in intensity. This is the because the alternator has changed it's rpm due to increased drain on the system. Sorry for the elaborate explaination but at least you can rest assured it's not a problem with your car at all. It may just be a little annoying. hehe. If you want to completely get rid of the sound, at least in the day time, turn your headlamps off and get rid of the DRL (daytime running lights) relay. The exact location is probably located in your user manual, but, open the hood and the relay box is going to be on the car's right side. It's pretty easy to remove the top. Now, if you're standing on the car's right, there should be a cluster of small fuses on your left. There are bigger fuses and relays starting to the right of the cluster in two rows. The DRL relay is on the bottom row, to the right of the 1st big relay. Pull this out and your lights should completely be off when your headlamp dial is all the way counterclockwise. I pulled this out because it was annoying me to have my lights on in the day, but it also cured the whistling noise at least during the day. hehe. Anyways, I hope this is helpful. Now, if it truly is your intake, the intensity of the whistling sound should increase as you step on the throttle until the sound of the engine damps it out. If it's the alternator you should only be able to hear it at low rpm, including the procedure that I told you about to hear it more.

Cheers

·
Registered
35 Posts
ZimGTO said:

I have the same thing on my vette but am not trusting of the dealer to tough it. It only whistles under part throttle in cold weather. The only reason to drive it in the cold (top never goes up before storage) is the fun of loose tires. I call the whistle "character".

·
Registered
53 Posts
This noise issue must be common because I have it also on my 06 and I hearded the first day I had it in my garage. It sounds to me more like what a supercharger sounds like.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.