Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been reading that the 05 hood scoops are functional. Is this true? If so, how do you drive in the rain or snow without getting the engine drenched? Even if the hood is aerodynamically designed to move the falling rain away from the scoops while driving, what about the splashes from other cars that will definitely throw a bunch of water into the scoops? And the snow will just blow into the scoops when the car is sitting still. Does it mean you can't take it into a car wash?

·
Registered
64 Posts
I don't understand how it works either, but I have a picture of the underside of the hood and there are no holes there for water to easily pass. I can't wait for someone to reply and explain how the air gets through.

http://www.gravanatuning.com/applic...am_Air_Fiberglass_Hood_40_Lighter_than_Stock_

EDIT: OH! Look at the picture of the underside of the hood. I think I see a little white thing on the right. Maybe that's a little air filter. It looks to me like water would get stuck inside the hood (not under the hood, but in between the materials that makes the hood). That still leaves the question of what happens to the water once it gets inside the hood. At least we now know that a little filter on the underside of the hood blocks the water from reaching the engine.

·
Registered
19 Posts
taylor65 said:
I've been reading that the 05 hood scoops are functional. Is this true? If so, how do you drive in the rain or snow without getting the engine drenched? Even if the hood is aerodynamically designed to move the falling rain away from the scoops while driving, what about the splashes from other cars that will definitely throw a bunch of water into the scoops? And the snow will just blow into the scoops when the car is sitting still. Does it mean you can't take it into a car wash?
The scoop leads (and it worked the same way for the old ram airs) to the air filter assembly, and there's a drain in the assembly.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks!! That makes me feel much better about the 05. I had driven a 93 Viper one time, and it had a factory-cut hole cut in the hood to let heat out, and that hole was just a hole in the top of the hood with a grill over it. I didn't think the gto would have anything similar, but I didn't know. Now, if the stupid snow would quit and my 05 would arrive, life would be good.

·
Registered
410 Posts
I believe the '05 hood scoops are not functional (Ram Air) unlike the GRAVANA hood that was illustrated in the link. The GRAVANA hood scoops are ducted to an outlet placed over the stock air cleaner box allowing the owner to dump the air into the engine with a air box modification. The stock '05 scoops just flow air into the engine bay (and rain etc.)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts