Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,445 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There are the rubber plugs in the 05' hood. Why????

I know that the engine would get dirtier, but I tend to wipe it off once a month anyhow, so that is not an issue for me. I'm wondering if they are there because GM found that they reduced airflow through the radiator at higher speeds, thus making the engine run hotter. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

·
Registered
358 Posts
I took mine out and am currently fabbing new inserts to push the air directly down to the engine ! I got no idea why GM didn't do this in the first place ! :cheers

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
fergyflyer said:
There are the rubber plugs in the 05' hood. Why????

I know that the engine would get dirtier, but I tend to wipe it off once a month anyhow, so that is not an issue for me. I'm wondering if they are there because GM found that they reduced airflow through the radiator at higher speeds, thus making the engine run hotter. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

·
Registered
13 Posts
TexasRealter is correct. In order to pass required water intrusion tests, GM/Holden had to do something, but I'm sure you've noticed they're easy to remove. Most car owners don't realize there are hundreds of tests vehicles MUST pass just to make it into production. Then to make an appealing performance car on top of that! It's crazy!

·
Registered
3,541 Posts
GMDPGGTO said:
TexasRealter is correct. In order to pass required water intrusion tests, GM/Holden had to do something, but I'm sure you've noticed they're easy to remove. Most car owners don't realize there are hundreds of tests vehicles MUST pass just to make it into production. Then to make an appealing performance car on top of that! It's crazy!
I could imagine..... where did you get that pic for your avatar? :cheers

1 - 8 of 8 Posts