Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
I got a price of $865.00 for a hood for my 04. They must come in unpainted, dealer told me painting, labor and installation are extra. I guess my question is does anyone know how many coats of clearcoats are on top of the paint ( Im assuming there is some clearcoat) for the car. Im guessing the new hood would have to be done the same to match perfectly. Thanks

·
Registered
267 Posts
do you plan on painting it yourself?????

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Of course not, it wouldn't even look like a hood when I got done with it. The dealer will do it, or if you have your own body shop they can do it for you also. Thats why I asked about the painting specs.

·
Registered
267 Posts
well its kind of up to the painter, if you run the clear a little you would put some more clear on because you will have to sand on the clear to get the run smoothed out.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The dealer I bought the car from is an older smaller dealership and they have no body shop. Im kind of nervous about getting it done, may have to inquire a few places and see what happens

·
Registered
267 Posts
any body shop can paint it its not that difficult,be carefull with the paint codes ,i went down to my dealer with my paint code to get touch up and they said it didnt exsist??? i had to use my vin to get the right color.

·
Registered
84 Posts
quadman said:
so the 05 hood is a direct bolt-in?
Yeah...same thing as ours but with scoops. There are a few extra parts (the grills that go into the scoops), but otherwise no big difference. Scoops are functional for ventilation but not for ram-air induction.

Supposedly they are shipping extras to help dealers move the 04's off the lot.

·
Registered
33 Posts
toyotatom said:
I got a price of $865.00 for a hood for my 04. They must come in unpainted, dealer told me painting, labor and installation are extra. I guess my question is does anyone know how many coats of clearcoats are on top of the paint ( Im assuming there is some clearcoat) for the car. Im guessing the new hood would have to be done the same to match perfectly. Thanks
Tom;
Typical OEM paint is about 3/4-1 mil of basecoat color, and around 2 mils of clear. When refinished painted (body shop), they will normally put 2 - 3 coats of clear, or about 3 mils, so that they can wet sand and buff the finish to match the OEM and still leave 2 mils of clear. That is the minimum recommended thickness of clear coat by most paint manufacturers in order to have enough "U.V" protection from the sunlight? Don't be worried about having this done, so long as it is a reputable shop. You probably won't be able to tell the difference from the original. Hope this helps?

·
Registered
56 Posts
The LS2 is a much hotter engine than the LS1. The air entering the engine compartment from the scoops helps keep the temp down within the engine bay.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I doubt it was put on just due to the LS2...it runs a little higher compression, but it's not that much hotter than the LS1.

Main reason for it is aesthetics...GM figured if they made it more aggressive looking then they might be able to sell it better. It lets in air to keep the engine cool which is important, but they probably did that so it isn't a "fake" scoop that's just blocked off like on camaros.

Here's part #'s

Hood w/scoops - 92167780 - No Price Listed
Scoop, hood LH - 92167877 - NPL
Scoop, hood RH - 92167878 - NPL
Engine cooling duct (mounts to underside of hood) LH - 92167788 - NPL
Engine cooling duct (same as above) RH - 92167789 - NPL

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
sharptx, thanks for the info. I live in the Northeast and will probably get it done in warmer weather. Car will be in the garage until then anyway. Snow on the ground now. Some of the guys I work with are giving me some leads on getting it painted.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts