Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Super Moderator
8,433 Posts
The taste of Forearm

I was a Monte Carlo fan at one time. Back in 1977 I bought a 71 Monte. 350 with Turbo with bench seats, shifter on the column. Man did that car haul... Well a month before I was to get married I hydroplaned it and totaled it. I think I had the only one with turbo around me. It was the only accident I ever had. If I had that car now it would be worth $$. I went searching and found another 71 Monte, this one had buckets and the old U shifter. That car was also a 350 but not turbo. I had that car until 1985 when I traded it in another Monte, a new one. It had the 4.3 and it was very quick.

That car didn't nickel, and dime me to death, it hundred, and thousand me to death. Everything but mechanical went wrong with it. I finally got rid of it after 7 yrs. I put over 3K in that car, AFTER the warranty expired. The final straw came when it needed the major oil seals in the engine replaced. I wasn't about to dump 1500 more into it.

It left a bad taste in my mouth. Shortly there after the Monte Carlo line was discontinued. Years later it came back, I have not been impressed with them at all. Don't like em. Every time I see one I get horrid flash backs and my wallet has spasms. I'd even eat Groucho's forearm before I'd get in another one. :willy:

·
Registered
937 Posts
GTO judge said:
I was a Monte Carlo fan at one time. Back in 1977 I bought a 71 Monte. 350 with Turbo with bench seats, shifter on the column. Man did that car haul... Well a month before I was to get married I hydroplaned it and totaled it. I think I had the only one with turbo around me. It was the only accident I ever had. If I had that car now it would be worth $$. I went searching and found another 71 Monte, this one had buckets and the old U shifter. That car was also a 350 but not turbo. I had that car until 1985 when I traded it in another Monte, a new one. It had the 4.3 and it was very quick.

That car didn't nickel, and dime me to death, it hundred, and thousand me to death. Everything but mechanical went wrong with it. I finally got rid of it after 7 yrs. I put over 3K in that car, AFTER the warranty expired. The final straw came when it needed the major oil seals in the engine replaced. I wasn't about to dump 1500 more into it.

It left a bad taste in my mouth. Shortly there after the Monte Carlo line was discontinued. Years later it came back, I have not been impressed with them at all. Don't like em. Every time I see one I get horrid flash backs and my wallet has spasms. I'd even eat Groucho's forearm before I'd get in another one. :willy:

:lol: My wife had one, had the 3.8 231 in it. 2bbl. What a hunk of crap. The car fell apart around your head. Whats up with Groucho's forearm? Must be tasty!

·
Registered
304 Posts
Yea, same here, Monte over the Charger no question. But without the comparison, I think it's a nice looking car...even more attractive with the V8 option.

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
The front wheel drive Grand Prix V-8 and the Monte Carlo are G.M.s answer to Chrysler's line of rear wheel drive 8's. They had to figure how to boost performance sales on existing models. From what I hear there is a rear wheel drive in development for these models that should be for sale around 07.

·
Registered
143 Posts
GTO judge said:

Turbo? I assume you're referring to the tranny, not a turbocharger.

·
Registered
61 Posts
silver/red/04 said:
I would buy a Charger before I would buy a Monte Carlo
I agree. The Monte Carlo looks pretty good (though I liked the 2005 better), but with fwd, I would never consider it.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts