Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
having just found this board, and I think it's great! This is my dilemma. I have the first deposit on a 05 GTO at my local dealer. The first car coming in is a cyclone gray metallic automatic. I was told that once that car comes in on 3/1/05 he can dealer trade for a quicksiler in a stick. Not a problem! The problem is that my wife can't drive a stick! I've always owned sticks and I'm afraid I'm going to lose the fun and some performance. Can anyone give me their opinion?

·
Registered
49 Posts
The car is a blast to drive with either transmission, so you can't go wrong.

If you go for the stick, I'd say it is one of the easiest to use--the clutch engagement is extremely gradual and consistent. It would be a good car on which to teach someone....

·
Registered
156 Posts
There is no question what to do. Get a stick teach her how to drive. The auto is for the ladies. It's called chickshifting for a reason.

·
Registered
476 Posts
The auto is actually faster than the stick(according to all the tests I have read so far). It gets worse gas milage however, and you'll gave to pay a $1,300 Gas Guzzler tax with the auto.

Plus the manual is always more fun. :party:

·
Registered
22 Posts
HeHeHe...wife can't drive a stick...that is one way to ensure your clutch is safe.

·
Registered
386 Posts
My wife can't really drive stick, so I got an A4 and have no regrets. I think it's actually more fun, and with the performance of this car, especially the '05, the transmission is not going to make a damn bit of difference to you. .1s of a difference in performance is nothing, especially considering the manual driver would have make perfect shifts to achieve it. Whereas all an auto driver has to do, basically, is step on the go pedal and keep 'er straight.

The misconception that manual is for "real men" and automatic is for "ladies", is exactly that, a misconception. Try telling a Top Fuel drag racer that his car is for "ladies".

This argument is all a matter of opinion and thus can never have a winner. Get what ever you want, don't let anyone else convince you otherwise.

·
Registered
32 Posts
It depends on what you like - if you like a manual, get a manual. A friend of mine bought an auto Firebird WS6 so his wife could drive it and ended up trading it in for a manual within 3 months. As long as she has a car she likes, it hopefully won't be a problem.

·
Registered
117 Posts
In bracket racing , an auto is the way to go to insure consistent ETs. I didn't win a buttload of trophies with my old '86 Grand National by guessing the exact split second when to shift - I just put it in drive, warmed the tires, power braked and left the line.

G

·
stick with stick

auto for consistancy, had a ta ram air autows6, a z28 auto, some times in my goat m6 i forget to down shift (old age) the manual is more fun,especially in the twisties,plus she cant drive it!!!!! also check with the dork in the "garage talk section" he may have some coupons or free depends for
your first wfo launch! dismissed.

·
Registered
64 Posts
TexasRealtor is right! I've done a lot of research about the transmissions lately. A LOT of people think manual transmission is the best and they make fun of people who don't use manual transmissions, but they're living in the past. Maybe in the 80s (and earlier) manual was the way to go for striaght line performance, but now the computers in many sports cars can change gears faster than any human. The GTO's A4 included. If you get an automatic and you race an average-good driver with a manual, you will beat him with no contest. You will even beat a professional driver if you get the launch right.

My brother drives an '04 Cobra. Saturday night, I am going to bet money that his friend's '04 GTO is going to win (0-60) because that GTO is automatic. (You heard me, I said '04 GTO, not '05.) I've watched my brother drive before and he changes gears faster than anyone I know, but he's no pro and I think he's in for a real wake up call Saturday. I am going to llaauugghh like there's no tomorrow because he calls me all kinds of names for thinking that auto is better than manual.

Now, as far as fun factor, manual may be better for most people...just not for me. It's more annoying than fun. People say they like the control they have over the car. That reminds me of the stories my dad used to tell me about how the old giant computers used to work. Engineers used to pull out and push in cards and plugs to get the Computer do what they wanted.

Manual is better for gas milage. Can't dispute that.

BTW, I like the '04 GTO better than the '04 Cobra. The Cobra's interior is so cheap...almost embarrassing.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Everyone agreed that the auto is better for a straight line drag race!!! and manual is better for road racing!! F1 which is "THE" most expensive racing there is doesn't use autos. (also the most boreing racing!) Nascar almost never change gears at most ovals and there is a reason for this!!!

·
Registered
64 Posts
Legionaire said:
Everyone agreed that the auto is better for a straight line drag race!!! and manual is better for road racing!! F1 which is "THE" most expensive racing there is doesn't use autos. (also the most boreing racing!) Nascar almost never change gears at most ovals and there is a reason for this!!!
I don't race in Nascar or F1 and I don't think the original poster does either. I'm talking about reality. For streets in this country (USA), auto is best as far as performance.

As for everyone agreeing that auto is better for drag, I don't care how many people agree. I'm addressing the original poster and he asked for opinions. Most people believe manual is best for all types of sport driving...they just haven't posted on this thread.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I only used those as examples! and I realize there are probably no NASCAR or F1 drivers posting here! The point I was trying to make useing those examples is that if the pros in those types of racing use manual theres a reason for it! If an auto were better in the twisties all road racing cars would use it. While your right that auto are more practical on our streets with traffic etc. Performance wise a manual is better if you drive hard through a lot of curves! With todays technologies the difference in gas milage between an auto and a manual is minimal.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.