Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
05 and 04 is the difference between both too much ? is there anyway to make a LS1 5.7 to 6.0L ? I just wanna know, planning on buying the car, im just waiting to win the Lottery to buy the car. with a salary of 1100/month i dont think i can buy this car... $500/month for the car & $200/month for insurance, what i have left for GAS,the food i eat, + some extras for living? i need a $2000/month job hmm...

·
Registered
314 Posts
Not sure which avenue of advice you want but from what I gather...

Depending on your job status (i.e. is this job temporary, and if so what is your outlook for the future) a good rule of thumb is never exceed 15% of your disposable income for vehicles. Todays vehicles are that of a commodity rather than an investment and should be approached like so; why would you consider spending about 90% of your DI on something that will lose most of it's value over the next 2 years? My advice, (though to each his own) would be to forget about the GTO; that which you own, will eventually own you.

·
Registered
275 Posts
sboylan said:
Not sure which avenue of advice you want but from what I gather...

Depending on your job status (i.e. is this job temporary, and if so what is your outlook for the future) a good rule of thumb is never exceed 15% of your disposable income for vehicles. Todays vehicles are that of a commodity rather than an investment and should be approached like so; why would you consider spending about 90% of your DI on something that will lose most of it's value over the next 2 years? My advice, (though to each his own) would be to forget about the GTO; that which you own, will eventually own you.

:agree

He makes a very strong point. I'm extremely frugal. And I know that while most people my age are living well above their means, I'm living very comfortably below mine. You might listen to a show called The Dave Ramsey Show (http://www.daveramsey.com). Just when I'm about to indulge in purchasing a depreciating asset, I'll hear him say something to a caller that keeps me in line. Remember....debt is bad unless it's paying you money.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Now, when you say 15% of your income, do you mean 15% of for totaly price of car or just monthly payments. Like say you make 100K/year, should you be looking at a $15K car or a $1500 car payment?!?! I would assume payment. Of course, I don't know many people around me that are driving around in cars that are $1500-$2000 incomes, but it seems that the median incomes total about $150K/family around here...

·
Registered
314 Posts
For this specific case you wouldn't want to exceed a $150/month car payment with $1000 in disposable income. Now in your case if you were making $100,000 a year or $8000/month you wouldn't want to exceed $1200/month for vehicles. Not hard when driving around in a 05 GTslow, and say a BMW3X series. Just a rule of thumb not a rule of life.

By the way, I love those G35 Coupes, very sharp...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.