Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
It's definitely a good looking car. I wouldn't daily drive it but if you have another car, go for it. :)
I totally disagree. I'd drive her daily from mid March until the snow flies up here in Minnesota. Oh, and I'd do the trade in a heartbeat lol.

·
Super Moderator
5,741 Posts
Body looks nice. Headliner and door/window seals are showing their age.
15-inch wheels aren't original, nor is the engine. Plus there's the list of things on the site that don't work. I think I'm seeing what could be a pretty sizeable dent on top of the drivers side wheel house in the trunk.
I'd be concerned about the non-original engine and the 2bbl and would want to positively ID what it is first.
Generally, I'd advise a very close and thorough inspection of everything before making a decision. It could be a nice car, and it could be a "beater" that's just wearing a nice-looking paint job.

Bear

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
Bear, I have the same concerns and wouldn't make the trade. Of course, if all of those things were 'correct', the price of the 68 would be way higher and nowhere near the ballpark of an 06 in trade.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
I would only do the trade after a visual inspection of the car and all electricals are working. Another drawback is the manual brakes.
My guess would be the seller would also want cash in addition to your '06.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I would trade in a new york minute, thats a good looking GTO in the link.
it will definitly turn heads and be fun to drive and be worth more in the long run.
sorry to say but i'm just not a fan of the 04,05,06 gto's to me they were a failed attemp by pontiac and look like some kind of mustang.

·
Registered
80 Posts
it will definitly turn heads and be fun to drive and be worth more in the long run.
sorry to say but i'm just not a fan of the 04,05,06 gto's to me they were a failed attemp by pontiac and look like some kind of mustang.
:rofl:

·
Registered
194 Posts
Not even close to looking like a Mustang, the Mustang has a blue oval and the Pontiac has a red arrow. :cheers

·
Registered
85 Posts
You honestly believe a 68 GTO makes a better daily driver than an 06 GTO?
When did I say that? I said if that '68 was mine, it would be my daily driver. Sure the '06 would get better mileage. But I'd take the '68 hands down any day of the week.

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
no offense but, i think you could guess what car the older guys would want to own.
I don't know....I'm 62 and though I'd likely prefer an old school GTO over my 2005, it would take a better example. The one that is the subject of this thread isn't one that I'd prefer.

·
Registered
282 Posts
When did I say that? I said if that '68 was mine, it would be my daily driver. Sure the '06 would get better mileage. But I'd take the '68 hands down any day of the week.
If my '06 was just my weekend cruiser, I'd gladly trade it for a '68. But trading my '06 DD which is incredibly comfortable, powerful, nimble and modern for a 45-year old car to daily drive would be a hard pill for me to swallow.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I use to have a 68 GTO with a 4 speed manual and had a whole lot of fun with it until the engine bit the dust (had it from '70' to '78'). The comparison of the 68 to the 06 is that the 68 had some serious flaws when you pushed it to the limits. The 06 doesn't have the same flaws. As an example, the 68 top end was about 135 (the speedo only goes to 120) which I hit in top gear many times. At that speed, the car was really squirrely and uncontrollable as the front end became really light and couldn't be steered any more. Quite the experience! With my 06, I've had it to 130 in 4th (just wanted to see what red line speed was in 4th and was running out of road for 5th) and it was glued to the road. My point being IMHO the 06 is much more fun to drive, goes faster, handles corners better and the updated technology like disc brakes is much safer than a 68. If your set on the 68 for nostalgia, the car you found looks really good with a very good price. If your looking for the best driver stay with your 06. You will not be able to even come close to your 06 driving experience with the 68 you're looking to buy.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Definitely look at this car in person! I am betting when you get up close you are going to see just how horrible that paint job is. In the interior pics you can see how rough the door jambs are.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts