Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey fellas ran a new stang last night and LOST :confused!!! i couldn't believe it i thought it was a fluke that he took me but we ran again and he got me a second time. This was my first encounter with one of these and i honestly thought id smoke him. What is it with these cars are the actually faster than the GTO stock vs stock???? I live in the northeast and it was a cold night and hooking up was a problem but once i got it to go i just couldn't pass him. Anybody with some insight are the new Mustangs faster or maybe this guy was blowing smoke up my skirt and the car had some mods?? I don't know but please let me know what you guys think!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Those stock 5.0's are way fast. Underrated from the factory.

Stock 5.0 will eat up a stock Gto any day

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Newer technology. Aren't they rated at 412 hp or something like that? I have ran one and I did beat him but mine isn't stock. I beat him, yes, but I didn't smoke him.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
His 12 extra HP didnt scare me... When im in my car i always feel its the faster than everyone HaHa!!! Dont we all?

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
They're less than 100 lbs lighter than a GTO and only 12 more hp, stock vs. stock. but half a decade ahead technology wise.

·
Registered
85 Posts
They're less than 100 lbs lighter than a GTO and only 12 more hp, stock vs. stock. but half a decade ahead technology wise.
They seem to dyno between 365-375rwhp. Thats easily 20hp+ more than a stock ls2.

Mustang = 3,620lbs
GTO = 3,725lbs.

So thats another 100lbs+ more of weight, and 20+hp less to the wheels

·
Registered
85 Posts

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Bottom line is that Mustangs are lighter and have more power. Stock vs. stock. That fact is not in question. You could quote posted weight specs all day long. They'll vary depending upon where you get them from and likely still differ from the two actual cars that race each other.

·
Registered
3,765 Posts
Get used to getting smoked. The GTO is old technology. Even the new 4 banger turbos are getting up there in stock form.

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
I'm just sayin......I've got a handful of mods and I just barely beat him and I'm pretty sure that if the kid had better driving skills, the outcome would have been different. To be more accurate, it's more like I 'schooled' him, not his car.

·
Registered
4 Posts
The new 5.0's are fast, really fast! A friend of mine at work has an 2011 5.0 with the optional 3.73's and has run an 8.32 stock. A friend of his just bought a 2012 5.0 with the 3.31's and he ran an 8.21 last week! Stock with the paper tag still on it! You do have to be careful launching them from a standing start because they will wheel-hop severely but when you do everything right, they will fly.

Mike

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Well lets look at it from a positive point of view........... it took Ford 5 years to come up with a Mustang that can beat our aging 06 GTO's.......... lol

·
Registered
121 Posts
the big thing is gears. if they have gears they can be pretty quick. bolt on gto should have them pretty easy and in some cases even stock with gears they'll pull you. You know every other car came out with better stock sized tires than the GTO did

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
Sanduu, that's how I look at it too, lol. Luckily I knew about this Coyote motor a couple years in advance thanks to all the magazines I subscribe to and started modding my car for the 5.0's then. Can't wait wipe the smile off one of their faces. Getting to beat a Boss 302 would be even sweeter. There is a 302 Leguna Seca for sale at a dealership a couple hours from here that one of the guys at work keeps going to on the weekends to try and jew them down on the price but they won't budge. The way he talks about the thing you'd swear it's the upcoming 2013 650hp GT500. I hope he does get that Boss. I'd love to hurt his feelings...

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Well lets look at it from a positive point of view........... it took Ford 5 years to come up with a Mustang that can beat our aging 06 GTO's.......... lol
I don't know...they did have the Cobra SVT which actually came out before the 04 GTO.

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
I was just looking at the statement at face value......

1 - 20 of 26 Posts