Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Me and my buddy with an 06 Evo 9 had 2 races last night on a long stretch of wide road on the way to the beach. Since I finally had tires, we decided to go from a dig atleast once. First race we had the passenger yell out the 1, 2, 3, GO! and I was off the line quicker than AIG giving out bonuses. I had some tire screech but I was definitely not spinning tire. I ended up letting out at about 75mph becuase the Evo was pretty far back by that time since I noticed he did not get a good takeoff. He told me he probably fried his clutch, and wants to do the next one from a roll.

So we turned back around and started at about 10mph. Passenger yelled out the 3, and we were off. I got a nose ahead of him right from the start, with his headlight being right next to my door. This lasted through all of second gear, all of 3rd gear, until we slowed down at about 80 since a slight curve was coming up. This Evo only has a Magnaflow muffler which actually increased his turbolag. I only have Flowmaster mufflers and a resonator delete. I really did expect to win from a roll, and I'm pretty sure I know what happend.

I started at 2,000 RPM, but the evo has shorter gears so he was at a better RPM with the turbo ready to go. Also, I think we stopped just before the point I would start pulling away from him, which was 80 mph. Fun race and we definitely will try one night on the highway.

·
Registered
342 Posts
0-80mph is pretty much 1-2nd(mid 3rd) gear, almost all cars are built with that 0-60 accel in mind because thats what makes them sell. i agree after 3rd-4th/90+ you would have definitely started working on a bus length or two.

good kill

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Either you got skills or your buddie doesn't for you to outlaunch anything AWD. Nice races. It would have got ugly in a hurry for your buddie if you guys went to triple digit speeds.
Neither one of use are perfect drivers, but I had new tires so I was not shy to rev up to 2,000 before the launch, and his clutch was pretty bad... so that made for the perfect combo for me!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts