Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a 06 GTO from a dealer. When I let out the clutch slowly in !st gear and give it a little gas the car shutters. It only does this taking off from a stop. In any other gear or a rolling stop it is fine. Under full acceleration its great. I asked the dealer where I bought it to look at it and they told me it was an after market performance clutch and they do not warranty it. They stated it worked fine.

·
Former Super Moderator
9,919 Posts
Sounds to me like maybe they installed the clutch but didn't turn the flywheel. That will sometimes cause the issue you are discribing. Try to move both pedals faster, release the clutch and hit the gas faster then you are cause it only shutters when the clutch is slipping, so the less you can make it slip, the less it will shutter. It may drive out of it and stop after a while.

·
Premium Member
4,162 Posts
I purchased a 06 GTO from a dealer. When I let out the clutch slowly in !st gear and give it a little gas the car shutters. It only does this taking off from a stop. In any other gear or a rolling stop it is fine. Under full acceleration its great. I asked the dealer where I bought it to look at it and they told me it was an after market performance clutch and they do not warranty it. They stated it worked fine.
Sounds normal to me. Performance clutches grab and don't like to slip, you'll get the shutter/chatter thing going on from a stop.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
06 clutch problem

Thanks for the input. My other car is a 97 Z28 6 speed with a Zoom kevlar/ceramic clutch, pressure plate etc. It takes off like a rocket and shifts like butter. I am going to change out the shifter in the Goat. Any input?

·
Registered
400 Posts
I just installed a Centerforce Dual friction clutch set and a GMM Ripshifter in my car, and it now does exactly what your describe. A little bit of "shudder" before moving, like it's going to die. Get the RPMs up a just a hair more and it won't shudder anymore.

I concur with the GMM Ripshifter. I have the street version, and it is a thousand times better than the stock shifter.

·
Registered
3,765 Posts
driver mod :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
can i ask where you guy's are finding the gmm rip shifter? all i seem to find is hurst or b&m shifters.

·
Registered
3,765 Posts

·
Registered
400 Posts
What really gets me, is that Speedinc (the only "authorized" reseller in the states) sells the race version for $350, you have to buy the street lever to make the shifter the street version ($45), then you have to pay for shipping. Why can't they just sell the street version from the begining? GM offers both for the same price.

Save potenially $100, and buy direct from AUS.

·
Registered
351 Posts
What really gets me, is that Speedinc (the only "authorized" reseller in the states) sells the race version for $350, you have to buy the street lever to make the shifter the street version ($45), then you have to pay for shipping. Why can't they just sell the street version from the begining? GM offers both for the same price.

Save potenially $100, and buy direct from AUS.
Street lever? From what I read on the JHP website, the street version uses your stock lever.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Street lever? From what I read on the JHP website, the street version uses your stock lever.
Go here, and scroll down to the pics. You'll see the difference.

GTO Shifter

Basically,

Race = Aftermarket Racing knobs
Street = Stock shifter knob

·
Registered
351 Posts
Ok, I got it. I was confusing the shift handle with the shifter shaft...

Quote from the website:
"The differnce between the Street & Race version is the handle we supply, the Race version comes with a one piece handle that takes the stock gearknob, the Street version uses your stock gearknob and your stock shifter shaft.."

I see the difference now. Thanks Justice.:cool

·
Registered
400 Posts
Ah, that's something for me to learn as well, so thanks to you as well!

·
Registered
351 Posts
I figured I'd post back about my new GMM ripshifter. I received it in the mail today, and had it installed about 3 hours later. It's kind of a bitch getting the two front bolts out and back in, but it's definitely worth it. Definitely a worthwhile add-on. I'm glad to be rid of the crappy stock shifter. For anyone who is "on the fence" about whether it's worth $350 or not, it definitely is.

·
Former Moderator
4,081 Posts
I figured I'd post back about my new GMM ripshifter. I received it in the mail today, and had it installed about 3 hours later. It's kind of a bitch getting the two front bolts out and back in, but it's definitely worth it. Definitely a worthwhile add-on. I'm glad to be rid of the crappy stock shifter. For anyone who is "on the fence" about whether it's worth $350 or not, it definitely is.
a little late but two things make the install easier. one is you can drill two holes up where the front bolts are to make it easy to get them on and off. the other is to replace the stock bolts with hex head ones so you can put a ratchet wrench on them. i hope you used LocTite (i used red) on the bolts or you'll be having the handle come loose eventually. definitely a worth mod tho isn't it? it was the first one i did on my car and if i did nothing else i'd do this one.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts