Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend of mine that I met on on the forum here invited me to go to a cruise in on Friday. He's got an 04 impulse blue a4 gto with blue leather just like my 06. He's got a K&N cai and the rest is stock. I got a K&N cai, Kooks Signature Series long tube headers with Kooks high flow catted connecting pipes, Borla exhaust, and a custom tune. We knew I was faster but we went out and ran a few times just to see how well he could keep up. One of his buddies showed up with a Nissan 240 SX with a big turbo on it that was faster then him and wanted to see how he'd run against me.

The 3 of us went back out and got onto a nice 3 lane stretch of interstate and all took off from a 50 mph roll doing the 3 honk thing. I was running in 2nd gear at the time we launched. Those A4's (probably LS2's in general) are devastating from a 50 mph roll. I pulled on him hard at launch, got maybe a car on him off the bat. Everytime he'd shift I'd pull another half car on him and had maybe 2 or a little more on him by the time I hit 80ish. But from 80 on, it was game over. The LS2 kept screaming and punching threw the air till I let off at 140 mph, and he was WAY back.

We went back to the cruise in and he said he was very impressed the way the GTO keeps pulling upwards of 90 mph, where most imports fall on their face because they don't have the torque to plow through the air. That was the first time I'd done the 50 mph roll 3 honk thing. I didn't realize how hard these cars pull from a 50 mph roll in 2nd gear (the A4's anyway). Just wanted to share my experience.

I saw some souped up Mustangs there and a couple Sti's and a souped up WRX I wouldn't mind running. Hopefully next friday they will be out and willing. I can't wait till I get the money saved up to put my Texas Speed cnc ported LS3 heads flowing 349 CFM with hollow stem valves and titanium retainers with the Comp cams LS3 rocker arms in, along with my custom ground Comp cam 228/232 @ 50 with .595 lift and 114+2 LSA, and my LS3 FAST LSXR 102 mm intake manifold. I still gotta buy a torque converter, injectors, and fuel rail kit before I can even start saving up for the 2 grand install and dyno tune. I'll be looking for anything short of a modded Vette after that's all put in. Tuner at the speed shop said I should have around 530 to 550 hp. I'll keep you posted.

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm sorry. I beat him as well. He put up a better fight then the 04 GTO, but didn't have the mid to top end to keep up much past 90. In his own words "The car falls on its face when put in 5th gear." Long story short, I won twice. One time they took off and I wasn't ready for them so I let the 04 GTO and the Nissan duke it out and I caught back up to them a mile down the road. Everybody was doing there own honking in that heat, kind of confusing and guess the Nissan in the middle lane took off when the 04 GTO in the right lane took off and I'm sitting in the left lane like WTF?

Hey, while I got your attention, there is a guy who keeps bugging my step daughter and her best friend who has a little Acura with a big turbo running something like 20 pounds of boost. I've never seen the car, but was told it was a small car, like a 2 seater maybe or something? A guy I work with said the car puts down 350ish to the wheels but is light as hell. It's an older car. Nothing new that would turn your head if you saw it drive by. Any idea what this thing might be and how tough of a race it would put up. All I know for sure is that it's a 4 cylinder.

·
Registered
24 Posts
It doesnt matter that its a 4 cylinder. The 240 you raced was a 4 cylinder with a turbo. The 240 more than likely had an SR-20DET. That is only a 2.0 liter motor. The 240 is much lighter, possibly one of the lighest cars out there... if the car was gutted it could way very close to 2,000 pounds with the driver in it. As for the Acura, the only thing i could thing of, would be the Acura Integra. Which is a piece of Sh!t. i dont think it could push 350 with a large turbo on the motor, unless it was a HUGE turbo. and they are not that light.

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You are right, it is an Integra. I found out today. Had a guy who runs a Volkswagon GTI who knows him send me a text message today at work and said integra. And the dude swears, his friend's car is just about the meanest thing out there...:rolleyes: Hope to see on Friday. Good to know more about the Nissan 240. He put up a good fight, didn't blow his doors off by any means, but did flat out beat him in acceleration and dominated in the top end of the run.

·
Banned
2,777 Posts
Ah, but the $1,000,000 question I want answered is, do motors running more than 6lbs of boost last for 250,000 miles? Any motor...

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've wondered how long these poor little 4 cylinders getting slammed with 20 pounds of boost would last as well, but haven't been into the racing seen long enough to look at enough cars and see how much mileage they got...

·
Registered
738 Posts
Ah, but the $1,000,000 question I want answered is, do motors running more than 6lbs of boost last for 250,000 miles? Any motor...
Uhhhhh Yeah ??? 6lbs of boost ain't **** NOW 8lbs+....... The better question is

Does the 2.4 L with 15lbs of boost making 500 h.p or the 427(7.0L) LS7 @ 505h.p get better gas millage?

But **** H.p, H.P. sells cars torque or a server lack of weight wins races

·
Registered
24 Posts
lol 6 lbs of boost is nothing. i have been told that for each 1lb of boost its equilivant to 10hp (roughly)... 6lbs is a very safe safe safe setup.. most people i know will run anywhere from 10-16lbs of boost on daily driving. now if you have nice setup, you can change the boost setup while driving or stopped at a stop light, if im not mistake, or at least for a 240 i know you can. my buddy has a SRT-4 (yes a gay neon SRT-4) that is PUSHING 21LBS OF BOOST. dont get me wrong, this car is yes very ugly in my opinion, but its insanely fast and will smoke my stock gto all day long.

2 days ago we headed home at the same time and we of course messed around on the high way back home. we started from 60mph at the first launch and i took him all the way, every gear.

THIS WAS ONLY DUE TO A BOOST LEAGUE. (he was running 11lbs of boost due to the boost leak, so he was missing anywhere from 70-100hp) he would of beaten me by a couple car lengths until i caught up to him in the top end.

then we started at 40, cuz thats where all his mid range power is.. again i took him....but only due to the boost leak...

i got lucky... its a great car and with only 11 lbs of boost he was able to keep up with me... 21lbs of boost is a very very very aggresive set up... i dont think his 4 cylinder will last long on that much abuse.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Turbo honda and acuras are no joke, my little turbo honda puts out high 200's and will stay door to door with the G8 GXP

yes your honda puts out 200 something HP but it weighs nearly half the weight of our heavy GTO's. you dont know how many times my car gets put down due to it being so heavy. personally i do not like hondas....due to the fact that everyone and there mother has one or has owned one. yes, there cars do last for ever, but i would rather have a nissan that everyone does not have. Hence that i why i own a GTO. they are hard to come across and when you see one, whether its stock or modded out, its always going to turn someones head. when i see a honda, i typically look the other way, down shift and grin. this is nothing to do with you, it just seems that every stop light i come a cross i have some POS sitting next to me that is lowered and has a 2k sound system and an aftermarket sound sysyem and a MAACO paint job and a 5 ft spoiler on it revving its engine next to me. its just the fact that there are too many morons driving these great 4 cylinder engines and they are the ones that have given the small guy bad opinion. do you not agree that you see alot of these types of sterotypical cars, most of them being Honda's????

·
Registered
3,445 Posts
Uhhhhh Yeah ??? 6lbs of boost ain't **** NOW 8lbs+....... The better question is

Does the 2.4 L with 15lbs of boost making 500 h.p or the 427(7.0L) LS7 @ 505h.p get better gas millage?

I love this question. GM builds the most efficient high performance engines in the world.

My GTO with 400 hp got 24-25 on the highway. I bet the 240SX would struggle to get that and if it weighed as much definately wouldn't.

My 2002 Camaro Z28 regularly gets 27-28 mpg highway even though it weighs 3400lbs. It runs into the 12's in the 1/4 mile.

My 2002 Corvette Z06 gets, if I keep it around 65, 32-34 mpg highway. Running 70-75 it still gets 30-32. Show me another 400 hp car that can run low 12's and high 11's that gets over 30 mpg routinely on the highway driving it normally. Running back and forth between Eustis Fl and Orlando Florida it gets 26-27 mpg even though half the trip is congested city traffic with 35 mph speed limits and traffic lights. That's as good as my 2.4l Hyundai ****** gets.

I have a friend with a C6 Z06 that you questioned. He got 30 mpg once on the highway. Usually though he is in the 28-29 mpg range.

So I would be willing to bet paychecks that a 505 hp Z06 gets better mileage than a 2.4 l 15lbs boost Nissan. I would also be willing to bet paychecks that the Nissan grenades it's motor a lot sooner than the Z06. I would also highly doubt that a 2.4l with 15 lbs of boost makes 500 hp.

·
Super Moderator
2,640 Posts
That is so far off the truth that it's not funny. If that was the case everyone would be lightening their cars rather than adding horsepower. Regardless off how light a car is it's going to need extra horsepower to increase it's advantage against higher horsepower cars. Sure lightening it up will help but it's not always the deciding factor when it comes to racing. If you feel being lighter is better strip a lighter, lesser horsepower stock Civic Si as much as you can and run it against, say, a stock C6 Corvette (no matter what trim package it has) and see what happens. Based on what you said above, since the Civic Si is lighter it should win right? Not gonna happen! Horsepower has to plan a roll in the race win and being light doesn't. Also we have to remember the importance of gearing, aerodynamics, driver skills, etc.

·
Premium Member
4,162 Posts
I've wondered how long these poor little 4 cylinders getting slammed with 20 pounds of boost would last as well, but haven't been into the racing seen long enough to look at enough cars and see how much mileage they got...
Yeah, 20psi is alot on any engine so I don't think it would last long if it was getting beat on.

Huh 6lbs aint chit huh? Thats funny. The 427 LS7 will get better milage than a smaller motor with 15psi and the LS7 will take a beating on a road course and last longer than a smaller motor would with boost. GM proved that through a series of test, one of them being a 24hr endurance test.
lol 6 lbs of boost is nothing. i have been told that for each 1lb of boost its equilivant to 10hp (roughly)... 6lbs is a very safe safe safe setup.. 21lbs of boost is a very very very aggresive set up... i dont think his 4 cylinder will last long on that much abuse.
For each 1lb of boost is more like 20hp and that probley depends on the engine. For an engine to take 20psi it has to be built for it, except diesels.

I love this question. GM builds the most efficient high performance engines in the world.
:agree Thats the truth. The C6 Z06 didn't get tagged with a gas guzzer tax.
My GTO with 400 hp got 24-25 on the highway. I bet the 240SX would struggle to get that and if it weighed as much definately wouldn't.

My 2002 Camaro Z28 regularly gets 27-28 mpg highway even though it weighs 3400lbs. It runs into the 12's in the 1/4 mile.

My 2002 Corvette Z06 gets, if I keep it around 65, 32-34 mpg highway. Running 70-75 it still gets 30-32. Show me another 400 hp car that can run low 12's and high 11's that gets over 30 mpg routinely on the highway driving it normally. Running back and forth between Eustis Fl and Orlando Florida it gets 26-27 mpg even though half the trip is congested city traffic with 35 mph speed limits and traffic lights. That's as good as my 2.4l Hyundai ****** gets.

I have a friend with a C6 Z06 that you questioned. He got 30 mpg once on the highway. Usually though he is in the 28-29 mpg range.

So I would be willing to bet paychecks that a 505 hp Z06 gets better mileage than a 2.4 l 15lbs boost Nissan. I would also be willing to bet paychecks that the Nissan grenades it's motor a lot sooner than the Z06. I would also highly doubt that a 2.4l with 15 lbs of boost makes 500 hp.
:agree
Eventhough my car is modded with a small cam, supercharger and other mods I get at best 25-26mpg highway and 14-18mpg city depending on weather and driving conditions. Thats with 475ish rwhp.

·
Banned
2,777 Posts
Yeah, 20psi is alot on any engine so I don't think it would last long if it was getting beat on.

For each 1lb of boost is more like 20hp and that probley depends on the engine. For an engine to take 20psi it has to be built for it, except diesels.
I guess we'll see how those LNFs are doing in 20 years. I want to say, from the factory, the Solstice GXP is running something like 19lbs of boost, and some people push them to 22 with little to no effort. But, an LNF is just an underbored 2.0L version of the 2.2 Ecotec from what I understand (plus other goodies like direct injection and VVT)... I'm not sure if it has a forged lower end or not. I'd really like to find one from a junked Cobalt SS/tc and stick it in my Grand Am... what a sleeper that'd be. :lol:

·
Premium Member
4,162 Posts
I guess we'll see how those LNFs are doing in 20 years. I want to say, from the factory, the Solstice GXP is running something like 19lbs of boost, and some people push them to 22 with little to no effort. But, an LNF is just an underbored 2.0L version of the 2.2 Ecotec from what I understand (plus other goodies like direct injection and VVT)... I'm not sure if it has a forged lower end or not. I'd really like to find one from a junked Cobalt SS/tc and stick it in my Grand Am... what a sleeper that'd be. :lol:
I can't remember the specs on it. Like I said above it has to be built for it, which it is, if its that high. DI, piston squirtes and all that other good stuff helps out too.;)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts