Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
I like it....could do with or without the attempt at retro-ness on the nose, but the Caddy-crease lines are cool.

What are they basing this on, however? Inside GM info? Wishful thinking?

Really good mescaline? :D

·
Registered
18 Posts
GM can't win.

They're trying to appeal to children (who want the car to look Japanese) and also Geezers (who want it to look like their old '65 GTO). The compromise styling theme is.... well, hideous to almost everyone.

Me, I side with the Cotton-tops. If I wanted to drive a geeky-looking foreign car, I'd buy one. They can take that stupid rear spoiler and shove it up their drifting, carbon fiber resonator.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Hard to tell from just an artist's rendition, but the car looks bigger than our current model. Maybe it's just the "wedginess" of it all, the body crease angle makes the rear end look bigger than the current model.

I like the front end though. Too bad if they do make it look like that, it will be more noticeable to revenuers than the current "generic Pontiac" nose.

·
Registered
77 Posts
A little bit cadillac and mustang to me. And an attempt to make the front end retro.

But, overall, I do like it.

I like the front end. I think the Pontiac honeycomb grills are way past their time and never understood why Pontiac insisted on every car in their line up with the same basic shape.

Moving the GTO over to the Caddy chassy makes sense to me. Granted, it is a totally different market, but don't understand why they are taking some of the lessons learned from the Caddy line and applying that across GM.

·
Registered
476 Posts
The MT article claims that GM internally calls it the GMX282. The wheel base will go up a little to 110 inches and the new model will carry over the LS2 and 6-spd. They claim that the IRS will be significantly modified for "even sweeter handling." MT also claims that it will be debuted at the Detroit Auto Show in January '06 as a concept and that the new Chevelle will also be built on the new Zeta platform. Didn't GM just announce a couple of weeks ago that they were cancelling the Zeta platform? :confused

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
TexasRealtor said:
The MT article claims that GM internally calls it the GMX282. The wheel base will go up a little to 110 inches and the new model will carry over the LS2 and 6-spd. They claim that the IRS will be significantly modified for "even sweeter handling." MT also claims that it will be debuted at the Detroit Auto Show in January '06 as a concept and that the new Chevelle will also be built on the new Zeta platform. Didn't GM just announce a couple of weeks ago that they were cancelling the Zeta platform? :confused
Chevelle???

Oh, for the Love of God, GM....stop giving cars with lots of promise stupid retro names of cars that were only good in old people's memories!!!!!!

·
Registered
177 Posts
Cancelling the zeta platform all depends on where you hear or read it. Some also say it's delayed at least a year. I for one would have to say, not bad for the picture. I agree, the newer honeycomb grills just don't do it justice, I probably should pick up a set of the autocross grilles. As far as the wheelbase lengthening, it's a smart thing for GM to do in case the zeta platform is in case cancelled. As far as the IRS being even sweeter, I'm all for the deal!

Overall, designwise, I can't say what I like better, drawings don't hold much value...I'd have to see the real concept down the road. It isn't that bad though.

·
Registered
386 Posts
TexasRealtor said:
Didn't GM just announce a couple of weeks ago that they were cancelling the Zeta platform? :confused
I'm sure the article was written and the magazine went into publication before the anouncement.

djdub said:
Photo here...

stucker said:
Nice. From the side profile, the front half looks like a RX-8.
And the back half looks like a mustang.

It looks nothing like an RX-8 aside from the vents behind the front wheel well.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Do you remember the C6 artist rendition in 2003? Do you think the actual C6 looks ANTHING like that? I bet the only thing the real '08 GTO (if there is one) has in common with these drawings is 4 wheels two doors and perhaps "slicker yellow" paint which might be an availble color...

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.