Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
So far as of today my best time is 9.42. Now I no what your saying there's no way a stock GTO ran a 9.42. All I can say is I go back tomorrow to finish the other half of the Quarter.... Ha Ha.... Had you all going... I had some Golf buddies ask me one time what I golfed I told them a 68, they were all like whatever Tiger, I said honestly I did and I plan to come back tomorrow and doing even better on hole no. 2 Ha HA....

·
Registered
67 Posts
2006 6spd with 1200 miles on it. Ran a [email protected] with a 1.98 60ft. This was the first day of track opening this year and they just replaced the launch area so everyone was complaining about traction. I only got the one run, hope to do better with a bit more practice and some more miles on her.

·
Registered
455 Posts
I've heard Goats running usually ~13 to 13.5 stock. I haven't tested my own (I'd suck--let's just call it 16 and leave it at that :D), but I've read that heat and maybe humidity is a big issue. If you can run when its cool, that apparently helps the Goat a lot more than it does many other cars.

Many people get better times with aftermarket wider tires. Goats don't come with a lot of rubber stock. I'd recommend reading up on strut rub ahead of time.

(I spot Groucho bait in this thread.. ) :D

·
Registered
3,445 Posts
More than a couple of us have gotten low 13's and high 12's stock with 05's. My best was 12.895 at 109 stock down to the paper filter. There was someone on LS1GTO that got 12.7x stock. Typically I was getting 13.0x to 13.1x with the weather good and the track right. As it heats up the car slows down real bad. I struggled through last summer to get 13.5's, but that was in 90 degree high humidity conditions.

Why does the GTO not get the respect it deserves? It's got a 100 more hp than a Mustang GT moving less than 300 more lbs so it's going to be a lot faster than the 13.6-13.9 that the best Mustangs get. It's got 25-30 WHP (read 40 more crank hp) more than the F-body and weighs 300lbs more than them so it is going to run with or better than the F-body too. Why does this continue to amaze people???

·
Registered
937 Posts
fergyflyer said:
More than a couple of us have gotten low 13's and high 12's stock with 05's. My best was 12.895 at 109 stock down to the paper filter. There was someone on LS1GTO that got 12.7x stock. Typically I was getting 13.0x to 13.1x with the weather good and the track right. As it heats up the car slows down real bad. I struggled through last summer to get 13.5's, but that was in 90 degree high humidity conditions.

Why does the GTO not get the respect it deserves? It's got a 100 more hp than a Mustang GT moving less than 300 more lbs so it's going to be a lot faster than the 13.6-13.9 that the best Mustangs get. It's got 25-30 WHP (read 40 more crank hp) more than the F-body and weighs 300lbs more than them so it is going to run with or better than the F-body too. Why does this continue to amaze people???
Fergy,

What tires were you running @ 12.895? The stock BFG KDWS?

·
Registered
3,445 Posts
JMVorbeck said:
Fergy,

What tires were you running @ 12.895? The stock BFG KDWS?

The car had less than 3,000 miles on it when I ran the 12.895. It had the stock 17" BFG's. After I changed to the Goodyear F1's I only took it to the track once and the clutch slipped pretty bad. I was still able to get some low 2.0x 60' and 13.0 13.1 times, but it was leaving something on the table. The car had about 17,500 miles and about 80-100 passes at the strip, so the stock clutch was pretty much toast.

·
Registered
937 Posts
fergyflyer said:
The car had less than 3,000 miles on it when I ran the 12.895. It had the stock 17" BFG's. After I changed to the Goodyear F1's I only took it to the track once and the clutch slipped pretty bad. I was still able to get some low 2.0x 60' and 13.0 13.1 times, but it was leaving something on the table. The car had about 17,500 miles and about 80-100 passes at the strip, so the stock clutch was pretty much toast.
Thats a really impressive time on those damned tires. Good job. I went to run the goat tonight to see how these new tires perform but the track is closed :( for Easter.

·
Registered
3,445 Posts
JMVorbeck said:
Thats a really impressive time on those damned tires. Good job. I went to run the goat tonight to see how these new tires perform but the track is closed :( for Easter.
I was really looking to get the Vette to the track before the heat started getting bad. Guess I missed that chance.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.